how to address private gates on Co Rtes?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

raisins

how to address private gates on Co Rtes?

Unread postby raisins » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:22 am

All,

I did some truck scouting national forest today just looking for access points, etc. I went to a new area that is a patchwork of public and private land.

I found several private gates blocking what are marked as Co Rtes on topo maps. In one case, a guy owns like 10 acres around what is marked as a Co Rte and even put a big sign renaming it with his last name. So, he bought 10 acres and then gets to limit access to 2,000 acres behind him.

I don't want to make any enemies, but I find it disgusting that this is going unchecked (if I'm correct and these are public roads that I should be able to pass along).

Does anyone have any advice?

In a sense, he might be doing me a favor because others won't walk in and so there is probably limited pressure. But that's a secondary thing for me at the moment.

Thanks - R

PublicLand

Re: how to address private gates on Co Rtes?

Unread postby PublicLand » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:36 am

"Trespassers fee" main reason Colorado doesn't get my $$$ anymore.
brancher147
500 Club

Re: how to address private gates on Co Rtes?

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:45 pm

We have a lot of private gates on county routes where there is livestock. Check with your local highway dept where the county roads are. I know of some that lead to National Forest but landowner will post both sides of the road like it’s a private road but it’s public. Easiest just to check with someone.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”