Buck bedding vs doe bedding identification

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Reapersshadow

Buck bedding vs doe bedding identification

Unread postby Reapersshadow » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:53 am

How do you guys when scouting can tell doe vs buck bedding when you locate beds?

Lockdown

Re: Buck bedding vs doe bedding identification

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:40 pm

It can be tough to differentiate. The best way I know of is to hunt and/or observe it during season. Or use trail cams.

I know of quite a few doe bedding areas that get marked up by little bucks early (they often bed with does) and by all bucks during rut. So when you come across it in the spring it can look like buck bedding because of the buck sign.

If there are lots of beds but not a lot of buck sign, good chance it’s doe bedding IMHO.
Reapersshadow

Unread postby Reapersshadow » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:05 am

Yea that what I noticed and how I been going about it
swhughes81

Unread postby swhughes81 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:19 pm

I will give you a good example. I found a tree this spring with a big bed up against it. It had a lot of old rubs around it and I knew on the next ridge over there was doe bedding. Anyway I hadn’t been back over there until the first of Dec. it had a ton of fresh rubs so I thought I was onto something. I put a camera on it before I left. Fast forward to last weekend and we had some snow. I get to this spot and immediately I see 4 doe beds, check my camera and there are several pictures of does including one bedded down at that tree. I had one picture of a small buck walking thru at 5:30 am. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to beast hunting but I now believe this is just doe bedding and a great spot for next November!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Sometimes there is just bedding. Not necessarily buck or doe but used by both.
But a single big buck bed is unmistakable when it is marked up and in the perfect location. Rubs around it, cover to back, looking into more open woods or watching access, seemingly impossible to hunt...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”