Stealth Camping/Car Camping

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MrT
500 Club

Stealth Camping/Car Camping

Unread postby MrT » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:24 am

Looking for ideas for out of town hunts. I have a camper shell that I've slept in multiple times, however when I did it was in a designated camping area.

A lot of these areas, especially some I'm looking at out of state, do not offer designated camping areas or if they do its setup more for those with RVs and has electric hookups and amenities that you pay for. I've actually located some cheaper options through AirBnB that offer a spot to camp for $10-20 a night that I take advantage of, but those are not always available in the area I'm looking.

Some of these places I want to hunt are 4,6,8+ hours away and spending the night is my best option, but I rather not have to spend as much or more than the cost of my out of state license and tags just to spend the night a few nights. If I could cut that cost out, I could spend multiple weekends in that area throughout the season and really stretch out my budget.

I know theres beast members on here that do it. Looking for opinions why/how you go about it or even why you may think its wrong or unethical. I'm open to hear anyones take on it.

Drenalin
500 Club

Re: Stealth Camping/Car Camping

Unread postby Drenalin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:26 am

Nearby highway rest stop?
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:37 am

Drenalin wrote:Nearby highway rest stop?

I was under the impression they didn't want people doing that. I mean, driving a tractor trailer is one thing, but some dude crawling in his campershell I thought would raise eyebrows. Have you done this a lot?
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:43 am

National refuges have the no overnight parking rule (Womack Law!!!) so there out, but most state ground doesn’t specify against parking. I don’t have a camper shell so I sleep in my backseat. It’s easy to argue I’m parking not camping - nothing leaves my truck including me to sleep. If you are parking don’t leave anything outside the truck - ice chest, chairs, etc.

Other options I’ve used - rest stops, Walmart parking lots, Cracker Barrel lots, hotel lots, state parks, & rd side pull offs. If I’m just pulling off the rd anywhere I try to get there late & leave early. Turn the flashers on & catch a couple hrs - if approached the truck was running hot so I’m just waiting for it to cool down.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:45 am

Forgot about truck stops - loud as heck but work. Also they have showers.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:54 am

Well, now I feel a little silly for paying for the places that I did. As far as safety I assume ya'll care a sidearm with you?

These are great ideas, keep em coming.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:13 am

County land by me lets you camp for $7 a night on the county land wherever you can park your truck. Guess it depends on the public
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:09 am

Tinder if you are a smooth talker and stealthy with the pack out :D
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:55 am

Loves
Flying J
Walmart (although you wouldn’t want to stay in mine)
Most states don’t allow overnighting at rest stops. But some do.
KOA are cheap (but apparently closed after mid November north of the mason dixon line)
Check state and federal forests. Surprisingly they have a ton of options that are quite economical
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Unread postby Seeker529 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:46 am

I bought a truck cap and turned it into a camper.. lots of videos out there on how everyone makes them
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:50 am

tbunao wrote:Tinder if you are a smooth talker and stealthy with the pack out :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To the OP. If there is National Forest around alot of them allow you to camp for either a week or 2 in 1 place. Alot of people do it around me. Only thing is there is no facilities.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:15 pm

Drive your truck up a hill and recline the seat. If legal. It’s pretty simple, real nice if you have heated seats as well.
Persistence is undefeated.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Sleeping in a car or truck without a camper doesn’t sound like a very restful sleep to me not to mention dangerous with some of the lunatics out there. Thinking I would sleep with one eye open and my gun in my hand.

I would camp in a designated campground if available but much prefer a good bed in a motel or rental cabin when hunting on the road. Makes for a much more enjoyable experience. A good nights sleep is really important to me to be at my best. As I get older saving a few bucks and losing some comfort just isn’t worth it anymore. Just my opinion and not saying anybody has to do the same.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:29 pm

Dewey wrote:Sleeping in a car or truck without a camper doesn’t sound like a very restful sleep to me not to mention dangerous with some of the lunatics out there. Thinking I would sleep with one eye open and my gun in my hand.

I would camp in a designated campground if available but much prefer a good bed in a motel or rental cabin when hunting on the road. Makes for a much more enjoyable experience. A good nights sleep is really important to me to be at my best. As I get older saving a few bucks and losing some comfort just isn’t worth it anymore. Just my opinion and not saying anybody has to do the same.

I spent at least 15 nights this season sleeping in the reclined passenger's seat (no pedals by your feet and no steering wheel) of a Tacoma. I roll out a sleeping pad on the seat and bring a large pillow, also a sleeping bag. Pro tip slide the seat all the way back. If I had to keep my knees bent all night I'd cramp up. Otherwise, I usually slept pretty good and wouldn't wake up until morning. Hiking mountains or breaks country does help put a guy to sleep :lol: I will readily admit this arrangement isnt for everyone. I definitely prefer a bed, hotel, cabin, etc, but I slept pretty well, and it's hard to beat waking up at or real near the hunting area.

I slept in walmart parking lots, rest areas, gas stations, on the side of the road...basically everywhere.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:47 pm

I did this for years. I had my 4x4 truck with cap. I had a small bed made up in the back etc. I cooked and cleaned up all the time n my tail gate. I went from a lot of gear, to less gear, actually it got to be like a mobile back packer. Heck I went from a 2 burner Coleman to a Jet Boil.............. I spent the night at a lot of rest stops, and never got bothered..... this is how I hunt South Dakota and beyond for a lot of years, when I was raising a family and paying a mortgage..................... In South Dakota, I hunted in so many towns, that half the home were abandoned, no issues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I used the showers at truck stops at times,,,,,,,,,,,,, carry plenty of water,,,,,,,,,,, I camped like this in the National Grasslands and never got bothered. maybe its different today, but I did this up into the early 2000's...........

I hunted all over Wis and the UP, like this............ also a lot of towns have camping spots, they are not much, but you can find them all out on line, now a days...................

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”