Late season tips/help

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

upwind predator
500 Club

Late season tips/help

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:31 am

Hey guys been a lurker for awhile. And I apologize in advance for the broad, multiple questions in one post. Anyways, my questions are without doing any scounting before hunting, what do you guys look for on a map on possible places to do sits just by looking at a map wether it be farm country or woods public land? Any certain features to key in on? If theres harvested fields on public what should i look for off of them? Map wise? If i blow out deer walking in should i mental note that for a future setup? Any other advice/tips? Bucks or does dont matter both are fair game for me as its been a slow season, and need more deer for the freezer and my private land food plot wont be good till real cold. So am wanting to focus on public alot this late season. And ill still do the setting up on hot sign if i come across it and scouting my way in as well. Sorry if my questions are vague. Thanks guys.

backstraps

Re: Late season tips/help

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm

Without being in the woods scouting previously... and looking for late season hunts for either sex deer....

I would focus on anything green and edible you can find. Any food sources that may pop out. South facing slopes catching the am sunlight.
Anything thick or areas that may provide thermal cover.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 pm

Thank you.
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:35 am

Broad answer is after a couple months worth of hunting pressure and the need to refuel post rut I key in on thick cover and food and more specifically the thick travel corridors to and from.

Alot will depend on the areas and habitat you are looking to hunt. Where I'm at I like to find cedar thickets and thick cover on the swamp edges.

Snow is obviously your friend for getting an idea of how the deer are moving in a particular area and I also keep that in the back of my mind for the following year.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:31 am

I believe in the deer hunting section. Late Season topic has been bumped for multiple years. Be worth reading through the years of posts. There are alot of senior members w great information.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Thank you, i will have to do a search. That will help immensly. Early season and rut on public i do pretty decent with, late season im still on that learning curve.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:35 am

I know it sounds cliche but food source, food source, food source.

Most guys go back to hunting rut spots in late season even if they're dried up and barren. Think green forage, edible mast, etc. Could be a food plot, picked AG field, hearty deciduous tree, conifer, or woody browse.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:48 am

upwind predator wrote:Hey guys been a lurker for awhile. And I apologize in advance for the broad, multiple questions in one post. Anyways, my questions are without doing any scounting before hunting, what do you guys look for on a map on possible places to do sits just by looking at a map wether it be farm country or woods public land? Any certain features to key in on? If theres harvested fields on public what should i look for off of them? Map wise? If i blow out deer walking in should i mental note that for a future setup? Any other advice/tips? Bucks or does dont matter both are fair game for me as its been a slow season, and need more deer for the freezer and my private land food plot wont be good till real cold. So am wanting to focus on public alot this late season. And ill still do the setting up on hot sign if i come across it and scouting my way in as well. Sorry if my questions are vague. Thanks guys.

If your in an area that has a late rut. My area doest stop till right at xmas. Then look for for rut funnels, benches and saddles. If they are in oaks even better. Even more so if it appears to have thick bedding next to it.

Don't go in an scout then come back to hunt, go scout with your hunt gear, if you bump,jump are see deer where you was hoping for. Get up a tree and hunt.

If the rut is over in your area. Either target travel routes from bed to food are hunt right on the food source. If the lovin season is done food is the most important thing to them when they are on their feet late season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”