Hunting flat bottoms

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Hunting flat bottoms

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:31 am

I’d be dropping a lot of milkweed to see how the wind is moving. Highly subject to swirling. Probably hunt closer to the water if possible which should suck your scent towards it. Stay away from the bottom of the ridge as wind may likely swirl back or “bounce back” from it unless that sort of wind could actually help you. Calm winds in the evenings could be bad unless the river is sucking your thermals down stream.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:16 pm

If you get some bad weather I’d definitely be up by the corn. Also if you have any corridors between the corn and wood line it could be really good if they are getting up to the corn in daylight. Not sure what could be causing your deer to hang in the bottoms versus up closer to the food...other pressure? I’d think the bucks would be bedding along a flat area up towards the military crest of the ridge or around a point. Another good spot would be any corners/drains if there are points jutting out from the ridge.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:18 pm

mheichelbech wrote:I’d be dropping a lot of milkweed to see how the wind is moving. Highly subject to swirling. Probably hunt closer to the water if possible which should suck your scent towards it. Stay away from the bottom of the ridge as wind may likely swirl back or “bounce back” from it unless that sort of wind could actually help you. Calm winds in the evenings could be bad unless the river is sucking your thermals down stream. I really like that draw or drainage ditch coming from the corn to the northwest. If it has cover it should have bedding on either side.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:29 am

Ok i misunderstood the map and access. You are correct about the scent checking.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”