I jumped a the buck I was after please help!!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mathews94

I jumped a the buck I was after please help!!

Unread postby Mathews94 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:20 am

I was doing some mid day scouting and I got on his tracks and wouldn’t ya know it I got a little close, he let me walk by but when I walked back he busted. Is he gone for good ? Or do I still have a chance ? Any experience with this ?
Thanks !!

backstraps

Re: I jumped a the buck I was after please help!!

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:06 am

He is probably still around. Just may have moved him to the next bedding area for a little while
Mathews94

Unread postby Mathews94 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:19 am

Do they ever return? I thought once they bust out of there their pretty well gone
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:23 am

Did he smell you? If not, that’s better but even if he did, can you hunt Sunday’s? If so, you can try a bump n dump style hunt if you want.

Otherwise, take that information as gold and use it to slip in and setup on him in the near future.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:27 am

Mathews94 wrote:Do they ever return? I thought once they bust out of there their pretty well gone

They return almost every singe time. May not be the same day or the same week, but they will return.
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:56 am

I’d hunt him ASAP, he’ll be back but he’s gonna Circle downwind so I’d set up off of that. If it’s his primary bedding he will be back.
Mathews94

Unread postby Mathews94 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:03 am

The wind was blowing in his favor so I’d assume he smelled me, I can’t hunt on sundays so I was really curious as if he’d return even in the same day cuz I would try setting up on that spot this eve but if that seems too late or impractical I would appreciate any advice in advance.
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:14 pm

You have to atleast try and go after him! Never an absolute on what they will do... I’d let it rest a few days, come up with a gameplan and give it a sit
Mathews94

Unread postby Mathews94 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:59 pm

I also read somewhere that it’s hard to push a mature buck from his core area,
It’s also debatable too as in you spook a buck from his bed, he’s gone because obviously he recognizes that place with danger, or you spook a buck from his bed, the bed did it’s job and he will return
What ya think ?
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:06 pm

I jumped the same buck 3 times last year from 2 different bedding areas and still managed to kill him coming out of the same one where I had jumped him before. If he’s a mature buck he’s lived to be that old right in that area and he’s confident there. You think about coyotes, other hunters, and random people walking in the woods. I’ve always felt like if they changed their bedding spot every time they got pushed they would run out of options. I think you’ll get another shot might take a few days but I would think he’ll be back.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:46 pm

My experience has been bump them once they will be right back maybe the same day. Bump them twice from same bedding area in a fairly short period they are gone for good. I bumped a mature buck a couple weeks ago bedded with does. They ran about 150 yards then settled right down in the next bedding area but they did not smell me and the buck never saw me. I came back the next morning but only a couple does showed up and bedded 30 yards from me.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:11 am

He made it out of there alive and without being shot at. With that being said, I would guess that he still feels somewhat safe there. Good luck.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:27 am

Bucks get busted all the time by hunters, coyotes, etc., it really is NOT as big a deal as so many want to make it now a days. Each buck is different, but mature bucks IME are really hard to PUSH out of their core areas. What typically happens thought is that of a buck gets busted a few times he might move his exact bedding location but that typically is not as far as people think. A mature buck is more apt to further restrict his daylight moving as opposed to moving his core area. Again depending on a host of factors, bucks will have core areas related to food, sex and security and these can be 100 yards apart or up to a mile or more - really depends.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”