Spotted in my tree!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jporcello
500 Club

Re: Spotted in my tree!

Unread postby jporcello » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:36 pm

an hour before shooting light did you check your thermals? this past week i was only using 2 sticks and using cover of other trees next to me.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:55 pm

That is one of the main reasons I quit using a treestand and hunting mostly on the ground. I hunt really steep terrain with cliffs and mature timber. Once the leaves fall it’s real tough. And with a steep dropoff you get skylined real quick. Since getting a saddle I find myself able to hunt trees again but I hunt lower down or wherever I can get some cover. But so far deer do not see me in a saddle like they did in a treestand. I think a lot of times the deer see the right angle of the stand which really stands out- they then see a blob and maybe that blob moves a little and boom the deer is out of there.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
MN_ArcheryGuy

Unread postby MN_ArcheryGuy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:42 am

jporcello wrote:an hour before shooting light did you check your thermals? this past week i was only using 2 sticks and using cover of other trees next to me.

I had 15 +MPH NW wind so I know he didn't scent me. He just casually looked over and saw me. I was already standing in my tree stand for quite some time prior to him coming into view, so shouldn't have been from me moving either. I saw him before he saw me.
Wide 9

Unread postby Wide 9 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:35 pm

This can be a catch 22. You need to be in a particular tree vs the tree or spot that gives you the cover. I have wrestled with both at times and personally have done best with location over cover. I also believe lighter camo works better in trees than darker camo. I know some have mentioned predator camo and I agree that its great camo. However, snow camo is a great camo when the leaves are off. Try hanging snow camo up in a tree once with normal camo and you will see a noticeable difference.

Also, you can reverse your stand up in a tree and peer around the tree. Tree saddle naturally does that for you.

If I am on the ground I try to find something that breaks up my head from my shoulders. Whether its evergreens or windfalls. If windfalls I want the dead trees to be horizontal and above my head when I'm sitting. Most hunters do not prefer windfalls higher than their head because they can't see behind them. However this when you get busted in my experience. It is of the utmost importance to break up that head/shoulder component. It's why I feel ghillie suits work well if you decrease the 90 degree angle that the head and shoulder creates. Also, in wolf country, deer tend to bust you in some of the best ground blind set ups you can think of. I find it almost impossible to a buck on the ground in areas that have wolves.
MN_ArcheryGuy

Unread postby MN_ArcheryGuy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:28 am

Thought I would follow up on this. I gave this spot a rest for a week, had a perfect wind yesterday so decided to get back in there and try and get on this buck again. I got in where I saw him last time and setup on the ground close to his trail. With the thick cover, I was going to be in tight for a shot. Found a small tree with lots of green leaves on it still and some good grass/brush around it. I got tucked in there and figured I would have a 5-10 yard shot if the deer came as I expected. About 45 mins before end of shooting time, I could hear a deer making its way toward me. I could see his rack moving through the grass. He got to about 15 yards and turned to go around a willow clump, got to about 8 yards and looked at me on the ground for a few minutes. He decided nothing was wrong and continued walking past me. I have confidence in the KUIU Verde 2.0 camo again. Fun encounter, that ground hunting is intense, heart was pounding for sure! Beast style hunting has really opened opportunities to me for various ways to get on deer.
MN_ArcheryGuy

Unread postby MN_ArcheryGuy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 am

Forgot to mention, I think this was a different deer from the week prior; different color and shaped rack, and definitely a smaller deer. I decided not to take a shot on the deer last night.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:55 am

Typically when I get spotted by a deer it's a doe and they follow my sticks up the tree. I tuck my straps so they aren't blowing, but I think on different bark they stick out to well. I try to face them downwind of my setup now so they are out of their vision. Since switching to the saddle I have only been picked once by an old doe.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”