Locating the security cover

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JPiskun1080
Facebook: facebook.com/JoePiskun

Locating the security cover

Unread postby JPiskun1080 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:42 am

I feel like I’m having a hard time finding “security cover” on the few pieces of state land I hunt here in upstate NY. Majority of it is usually closed canopy forest or mature pine stands with no under growth. What sticks out to you when scouting. Are you just finding the thickest nastiest thicket and backing it up with sign like rubs and scrapes.

You can’t hunt something that’s not there :think: :think:
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Re: Locating the security cover

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:58 am

I’m in Ag country so this might not apply but what I look for is lower elevations and wet ground. Those are the areas that will grow great security vegetation like willow, dogwood, alders, cattails, and marsh grass.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Locating the security cover

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:06 am

JPiskun1080 wrote:I feel like I’m having a hard time finding “security cover” on the few pieces of state land I hunt here in upstate NY. Majority of it is usually closed canopy forest or mature pine stands with no under growth. What sticks out to you when scouting. Are you just finding the thickest nastiest thicket and backing it up with sign like rubs and scrapes.

Where in upstate NY?

I'd think a lot it would be hill country, but how would you describe the terrain in a little more detail? What about deadfalls?

There are a few NY Beasts here that may have suggestions.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”