Water thermals

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Randyflash

Water thermals

Unread postby Randyflash » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:29 am

So a lot has been discussed about water thermals in the evening when the water stays warm after the sun goes down. I am curious, does the opposite effect happen in the morning? Ie does the sun heat up the land faster than the water and create a reverse thermal effect sucking the air from over water to the land?

Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks

headgear
500 Club

Re: Water thermals

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:50 am

I haven't seen anything that tells me there are morning water thermals but I could be wrong. It would seem the water would just absorb the heat and not create a thermal until later on in the evening. A lot of times the wind will pick up in the morning too so that can trump any thermals in flat land or near water. Hopefully someone can chime in with a more solid answer.
PK_
500 Club

Re: Water thermals

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:16 am

Not exactly what you are looking for but similar:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50872&p=772243&hilit=Warmth#p772243

Yea there is water thermal activity in the morning but different things will affect exactly how those water thermals will act. It’s hard to just say water will create this thermal or that thermal because there are lots of different types of water bodies (shallow, deep, running, stagnant, shady, sunny, open water, vegetation etc...) and different circumstances and times of year that change things. I think the temp swing (hi vs lo) has a lot to do with it as well.

But rule of thumb is your assumption is correct, however those morning thermals can be tougher to count on or detect because they kick in just as the daytime breeze starts and usually that breeze will trump the very light thermals. Also I think just the rising thermals in general are stronger than those water thermals. But idk it’s all pretty situational and this is just my personal experience.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”