need advise on winds

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Djp32

need advise on winds

Unread postby Djp32 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:53 am

So say winds are light and variable in hill country but the weather channel still gives a predominant direction, how much wind does it take for bucks to use wind based leeward bedding? I understand setting up for thermals in the evenings but I never know if the deer are using the bedding that I’m set up on because of the wind. In the same area of woods I literally have points and bench’s that can be used for all different winds that deer switch to and do use periodically but if the wind isn’t strong enough to create an advantage than I don’t know where they're bedding at. So far this season I’ve just been going off of the weather station winds regardless of speed and setting up accordingly but I duno if it’s worth it until there’s a significant wind?? im assuming that ultimately current feeding patterns would be the driver but in the big woods that can also be anywhere and to make it more confusing each leeward area would have its own supply of oaks dropping. is early season in big woods just that difficult or will they at least still bed leeward reguardless of the wind speed?

backstraps

Re: need advise on winds

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:38 pm

This is actually a tough one to try and help with.
Hill country is tough to figure out with a good steady prevailing wind. Light and variable winds creates a whole new level of frustration in the hills. Yes early season with good food source is even harder.

You can watch the weather apps and get the days prevailing wind, go to the point you would suspect bedding under that given wind...check with milkweed and be completely different.

There are so many variables that can effect the wind and thermals in hill country. I have better luck planning on sitting rising thermals because its rare for me to get a day of steady 8mph or above winds. Typically I sit from light and variable to 3-ph on avg where I hunt

My best advice would be, go as planned with the given prevailing wind. When you get to where you want to hunt, use your milkweed and compass and see what the wind and thermals are actually doing. Record that info for future reference

I have so many spots looking at a topo for example: a east facing point should have bedding under a westerly prevailing wind. WhenI get there the milkweed will be flying out of the SW! This particular point is so odd because of the surrounding hills and valleys surrounding it. BUT, a west wind once there carries milkweed into the NE out of the SW until it meets the uprising thermal and immediately turns underneath itself
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:01 am

I have had much better success forgetting about leeward and focusing on cover in big woods. Cover and wind to back (usually) looking into more open woods. I find this upper 1/3 near or on a military crest. But in open big woods cover will trump leeward.

And you have to play around with milkweed to learn what wind will do on different ridges and different slopes and aspects. I scouted yesterday with forecast SW wind but the wind on a steep NW facing ridge was out of E blowing down the ridge with falling thermals and deer were bedding on the NW facing ridge and found a good fresh buck bed there. They were bedded on a small finger with the most back cover around.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:37 am

brancher147 wrote:I have had much better success forgetting about leeward and focusing on cover in big woods. Cover and wind to back (usually) looking into more open woods. I find this upper 1/3 near or on a military crest. But in open big woods cover will trump leeward.

I agree with you here, at least in some scenarios. I learned from all the experts OGs on here years ago to always go leeward, so I took that and went with it. Now with some time in the hills, I know it is true but has many exceptions. Maybe its the pressure lands Ive been hunting, but Ive watched bucks come right up steep drainages, and zig zag around points and such all just to stay in or on the edge of cover. On those days if I just tossed the hill tactics somewhat and hunted edges and cover like I would in Michigan, I saw more and better bucks.

I think the biggest Ah Ha for me was watching the bucks cruising much lower, but on the top edge of thick cover, during morning. They were catching rising thermals from the lower 1/3 doe bedding in the thick stuff. Top 1/3 was open hardwoods.

Im not knocking hill tactics in any way here. Im just saying apply it as you can where you are hunting. They dont always follow the rules.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:51 am

I couple take aways that jump out at me would be that I think the big woods/hill country definitely set up better for the pre rut/ rut with traveling patterns and the other big one is that no matter what you read and hear about you absolutely have to do your own scouting and field trials because everyone has a little different situation than the next guy. Educating your self with the available information is only part of the game the other bigger part is being in the woods as much as possible and learning things first hand.

I’m going to start a new tab in my log book for every spot that I go to and write down the weather mans wind direction and then what it’s actually doing with milk weed. Once I have that and the cover that the deer are actually using I’ll be able to set up with a better chance for opportunities.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:56 am

What are you guys doing to confirm that bucks are using the bedding areas that your hunting if it’s not the prevailing wind?
This is where I’m struggling at, I run cameras on good trails on points and bench’s where it seems like bedding would be good and close (not hunting confirmed beds) and getting lots of good pictures of bucks but I just don’t know when exactly these deer are in there. I try to correlate times and winds but find little success in patterns

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”