urban deer hunting in parks

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fr0sty

Re: urban deer hunting in parks

Unread postby fr0sty » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:58 am

I'm going to head over on my lunch tomorrow and see what I can kick up.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:40 am

fr0sty wrote:I'm going to head over on my lunch tomorrow and see what I can kick up.

Good luck.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:48 am

Great advice here! I've never given these urban/suburban hunts much thought but I'm curious enough now to check out some of the areas near me. I'm planning on taking the kids for a walk/scout this weekend when mom is out of town.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:53 am

RiverBottoms wrote:One other tid bit to consider. The park I hunt generally has human activity in the mornings and evenings after work (dog walkers) and we've been surprised how much they can move in certain areas in mid day. They have a great ability to monitor human activity and adapt accordingly.

Agree with this. Worked from home one day and had a doe look shocked (the old stop and stare, not an immediate freak out) that we were on the trail at like 10 AM. Their movement patterns are different, perhaps with the exception of last light.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:57 am

Spent two hours yesterday walking cover. Didn't notice any fleeing deer but did find a small rub and two small scrapes. Also talked to a woman walking her dog and she said she sees the most deer early in the mornings.
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:59 am

I don't have much experience hunting stuff like this, but when i lived in a townhome complex in the city i did notice one pattern. The biggest bucks i saw during season were using their own little paths from bedding to feeding where they could travel with least exposure to human activity. One spot in particular was a very narrow strip of timber that came to the road and dropped down into an alder swamp, they had to cross the road but they were a ways off all the human trails that went through the property. Here's a map of what i noticed.
Red= buck travel
Yellow= human trails
Green= food plot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:32 am

I don't hunt as big as city as you but I have found some big bucks in overgrown back yards where there is little to no human activity. The know quickly when you go off the human paths and into their world.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:45 am

Cchez wrote:I don't have much experience hunting stuff like this, but when i lived in a townhome complex in the city i did notice one pattern. The biggest bucks i saw during season were using their own little paths from bedding to feeding where they could travel with least exposure to human activity. One spot in particular was a very narrow strip of timber that came to the road and dropped down into an alder swamp, they had to cross the road but they were a ways off all the human trails that went through the property. Here's a map of what i noticed.
Red= buck travel
Yellow= human trails
Green= food plot

That’s a cool example.

I had a lightbulb moment on a hunt last week when I wanted to get through a relatively open area without being seen. Yep, that same route was deer trail and bedding. I’ll be on the right path, so to speak, if I merely think “How can I get through here without being spotted?” and that usually equates to a deer trail.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”