Nocturnal buck movement strategies

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mathews94

Nocturnal buck movement strategies

Unread postby Mathews94 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:27 pm

Was just curious how you guys would even start with a nocturnal buck moving at 9:30 at night, approximate 250 yards away in the bottom of the ride of the primary food source.

Would he be bedding close by or from that time frame is he coming from a long ways off ?

Mathews94

Re: Nocturnal buck movement strategies

Unread postby Mathews94 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:29 pm

5C3BC7CB-4361-4A36-8978-9F27D90E5BA4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:45 am

If he's not getting to the primary food source until 9:30 then he's traveling or doing other thing for 1.5-2hrs until he gets to the food source (assuming that dusk is 7:30-8pm for you).

It's possible he's a late riser but IME if your buck isn't getting to a food source until after dark it's because he's traveling from a ways off.

If they are very pressured and nocturnal usually they bed near a food source but wont get up to hit it until .5-1hr after dark. At least that's what my cameras have shown me.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:57 am

Mathews94 wrote:Was just curious how you guys would even start with a nocturnal buck moving at 9:30 at night, approximate 250 yards away in the bottom of the ride of the primary food source.

Would he be bedding close by or from that time frame is he coming from a long ways off ?

If he is Nocturnal make a plan of where you think he will escape too. Go bump his bed midday intentionally and run out and hunt a spot along his escape route to his next suspected bedding area.

It's a long shot but at least you know he will be on his feet in daylight hours.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”