Scrape Locations

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Scrape Locations

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:01 pm

Where do you find most scrapes? Edges, funnels, lower or higher elevations, ridge tops, etc...?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Scrape Locations

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:22 pm

What kind of scrapes you looking for?
In my experience their are 3 types.

Boundary along field edges.
Boundarys don't really mean much.

Primary near buck bedding open spot near thick cover. Largest of all the scrapes. Within 100 yards of a buck bed even sometimes within sight of the bed. 99 percent of the time have a licking branch.

Breeding near doe bedding perfect for rut activity again checked from below mostly , sometimes above depending on the thermal. Bucks often bed downwind of these in temporary beds..

They like to put boundary scrapes ontop of ridges though they check them from the bottom usually at night. These are often scrape lines. These are tricky they could be primary on rare occasion if they bed on the same point. Hunters often setup here and see nothing. I think these are where I find the highest concentration of scrapes.

Most hunters hunt boundary scrapes with a bottle of walmart stuff and see nothing or a small yearling buck.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:36 pm

This is a primary scrape I think the only one I've ever found without a licking branch it does have leaves above the bucks can leave scent on though as you can see it is quite large. I hunted about 80 yards from this and the mature buck came to it at 1pm. I did not know it was here and with a bow could only watch.

Kopld.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:This is a primary scrape I think the only one I've ever found without a licking branch it does have leaves above the bucks can leave scent on though as you can see it is quite large. I hunted about 80 yards from this and the mature buck came to it at 1pm. I did not know it was here and with a bow could only watch.

All good info. What was the date of him checking that scrape at 1pm?
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:24 am

funderburk wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:This is a primary scrape I think the only one I've ever found without a licking branch it does have leaves above the bucks can leave scent on though as you can see it is quite large. I hunted about 80 yards from this and the mature buck came to it at 1pm. I did not know it was here and with a bow could only watch.

All good info. What was the date of him checking that scrape at 1pm?

Nov 28th -30th I need to check journal.
I had walked so much in the area I really felt I had burned it. .
Never went back and hunted this in December it's on my archery list this year. I'll be over this same scrape a few hunts this year.

I hung a cell cam about 800 yards away yesterday.
whi52873

Unread postby whi52873 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:44 am

In my experience (hill country - Boston/Ozark Mountains), 95% of scrapes are made on tops of ridges. There are exceptions for sure but in the areas I hunt, there is very limited sign in the bottoms.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:41 am

Ive found them in all the areas youve listed. But, the greater the buck density the more I find, and the opposite with low deer densities. I try to only pay close attention to the ones near buck bedding for hunting. Low impact spots for inventory.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”