Snow Hit - High Pressure Public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dpierce72
500 Club

Re: Snow Hit - High Pressure Public

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:37 am

Singing Bridge wrote:*** note that all applicable local, state and federal rules apply for having a tent blind on public land.

I hunted out of ground blinds a lot on private when my son was young. Nothing like comfy chairs and buddy heaters ...especially on cold, windy, or rainy days - almost ruined me and made me soft :lol:

On AR public, however, blinds can be placed no more than 7 days in advance of season, have to be moved every 7 days and have 144 inches of blaze orange or chartreuse flagging during any gun hunt. The flagging isn't a huge deal as a bow hunter in a WMA with limited shotgun only hunts, but the 7-day rule is a bummer for sure!

I also firmly believe they help keep scent down and cover some mistakes like motion. Wish I could use them more as there are several spots a ground attempt would be superior to hunting from an elevated position.

"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:47 am

It won't work everywhere but its a great option when conditions are right.

I find myself making adaptations to accommodate the laws when this happens. I downsize the tent blind which helps with buck hunting all the way around. For example, the very inexpensive and easily transported Ameristep Doghouse blind. Well before the rut I use dead ground cover or whatever the law allows to create a shell that the tent blind will fit inside. The doghouse weighs nothing and you just flip it on your back. The shell is always in place and gets covered with snow and there is no pre existing human scent.

I spend a lot of time inside swamps and can hide a small tent like that inside some spruce, pines, fir trees, etc. and cover the runway I am going to watch. Even if it is nothing more than thick brush there are ways to "brush it in."
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:57 am

At times, I have come across blinds made out of natural debris. The river bottom areas produce lots of downed limbs that that shed off due to high water damage. So technically building a small blind from natural materials is not a 'pop up blind' so long as they are natural and no saw/clippers are used to detach them from a tree/bush. My wheels are turning now in ways to accomplish said objective yet w/in the law and from the ground.

I have always written these spots off, but perhaps I should learn from someone willing to go to all that trouble ...about the location and design!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:35 am

Dpierce72 wrote:At times, I have come across blinds made out of natural debris. The river bottom areas produce lots of downed limbs that that shed off due to high water damage. So technically building a small blind from natural materials is not a 'pop up blind' so long as they are natural and no saw/clippers are used to detach them from a tree/bush. My wheels are turning now in ways to accomplish said objective yet w/in the law and from the ground.

I have always written these spots off, but perhaps I should learn from someone willing to go to all that trouble ...about the location and design!

Keep us posted, sounds like a cool set up.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:04 am

The main point I'm trying to make is that I've been killing bucks on the ground in high pressure areas since 1976.

When you are presented with hunting where the conditions are optimal for it, have confidence and get it done.

Bridge

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”