New to beast life- scouting land pressured by Amish

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike13

New to beast life- scouting land pressured by Amish

Unread postby Mike13 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:15 am

Hello Beasts! Ever since finding this way of hunting and this forum I haven’t been able to stop reading. I’m curious how many others on here are from Ohio as well?

I’m curious that if you guys find there is a difference scouting and hunting public areas that are hunted by the Amish. There’s some decent size public areas within a hour of me, but most if not all of them receive pressure from all types of hunters including Amish. They have their drivers drop them off so it’s difficult to base hunting pressure on vehicles in parking areas.

Looking forward to using this style of hunting in my area. Thanks for any advice!

backstraps

Re: New to beast life- scouting land pressured by Amish

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:25 am

I hunt Ohio “amish pressured public lands”

Honestly, I never have a “pressure problem” until late Oct and early Nov

Beast tactics added to living that close to sizable chunks of good public..... wouldn’t be long and you should be finished in a one buck state before Amish pressure begins :D
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:20 pm

I am surrounded by Amish as well. Those that have never been around them will never understand.

NE Ohio here, Trumbull county.
Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
Mike13

Unread postby Mike13 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:30 pm

buckeye wrote:I am surrounded by Amish as well. Those that have never been around them will never understand.

NE Ohio here, Trumbull county.

I’m in Geauga county. Maybe some time we can meet up and check out some areas near us both.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:30 pm

Public land by our camp in SE Ohio gets alot of pressure from late October thru the gun seasons. That is from in-state, out of state, and amish hunters. Outside of that, I would say it gets very little pressure. This past year with the new public land rules, I saw a lot less hunters in late gun and muzzleloader.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:06 pm

I am in eastern OH.
If you have time to scout and keep a good attitude the pressure is not a big issue.
It seems like the pressure peaks a few times a year. As a resident you are in a better position to adapt and work around it.
A trail cam on the access trail or looking for hunter tracks and other sign near the road should work.

The last two years they changed the regulations to only one doe on public land and it has to be killed by the last day of the first gun season which should help a little.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:11 pm

Jdw wrote:
The last two years they changed the regulations to only one doe on public land and it has to be killed by the last day of the first gun season which should help a little.

It seemed to make a big difference around me. Didn't see near the people in the late gun and muzzleloader seasons that I have in previous years.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:22 pm

I hunted NE Ohio last year alot throughout October and encountered all the pressure mentioned above and then some. My strategy was I kept moving and ignored the plentiful deer sign until I ran out of people sign. Then I hunted. It's a common method people write about often here, just more tedious in your area because of the number of people in the woods. And that includes early Oct in several of the places I hit. But the isolated spots exist just keep moving.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:32 am

Good luck!!!!! The Amish near me are absolutely brutal deer drivers. They get 30 - 40 men and stomp every clump of brush for 7 farms in a row. Brown it's down lol

This and there are no borders! Watched 7 truckloads a few years back push the public to our fence, crossed the fence, went across our 200 acres, crossed the neighbors and so on. Sickening!!
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Buckeye Bowhunter

Unread postby Buckeye Bowhunter » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:29 am

NE OH here, Trumbull County as well. My local public land spots are 5-10 minutes from Amish communities. I have a few Amish friends and many relatives (parents left Amish almost 30 years ago) and haven't noticed too much pressure in my spots. But they seem to look for the easier areas to access and I like to focus on swamps. Gun season is another matter though.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:55 am

Somehow someone connected to my post, wish I had 200 acres!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”