Greatest Deer Hunter of All Time...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Greatest Deer Hunter of All Time...

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:37 am

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee...

Whom do you consider to be the greatest hunter of all time??? "The Goat" of the hunting world, past or present and why???

Now kids, I'm asking for you to realize that there were some great hunters in the past... not just modern hunters you read about online.... something to consider.

Was it a Native American??? Daniel Boone, etc.???

I'm going to offer that whomever you think is the greatest hunter in modern times may be a far stretch from all time... but all opinions count !!!

Bridge

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Greatest Hunter of All Time...

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:41 am

I’ve heard the African bushman are phenomenal. The native Americans are probably in the same class. If I had to give a name I’d say Fred Bear was the greatest hunter. Not only what he did in the woods but also promoting the sport of Bowhunting
Last edited by Hawthorne on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:45 am

Probably someone nobody ever heard of.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:57 am

cspot wrote:Probably someone nobody ever heard of.

Most likely this ^

And not to get too esoteric, but greatest in what way? Number of kills? Size of the respective animal? Number of different species?

I really value someone like Fred Bear, who not only took a lot of animals, but was a great communicator/ ambassador as well.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Greatest Deer Hunter of All Time...

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:59 am

My bad…. the greatest DEER HUNTER of all time... changed the title. :lol:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:07 am

Hunting prior to the setting up of modern seasons, with game laws and limits. Was a different circumstance, than today's modern hobbyist pursuit. Before the early 1900's hunting was more of a chore, a necessity to put food on the table. Yeah I'm sure the ole Daniel Boone types, or natives enjoyed hunting. But few would have passed up any game animal, especially an adult. To keep the family fed. Many tactics these primitive hunters used would be considered unethical today. Different times, different rules. More of a life and death thing.

As far as modern times. Since the above mentioned laws and seasons started. As far as whitetail deer hunting goes. IMHO it would be a group of hunters. Mainly 1 family. That would be the Benoits. Not sure how many Booner's they've killed. But they've probably put more inches of antlers on the wall and pounds in the freezer, collectively. Than any other family/group in NA.

Alot of their off season hunting/scouting prep is a good way to get started even if you don't snow track, maybe only bowhunt. The things they've learned following bucks around for decades is incredible. Anyone that would spend plenty of time tracking mature bucks. Should learn enough to have success during bowseason too!

My $.02!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:10 am

The first person that came to my mind was Fred Bear. Not so much because he's the greatest, but because he is what I consider one of the premier bowhunting pioneers.

A few others that came to mind were Chuck Adams and Myles Keller as far as bowhunting goes. Even so, I think they're haven't been nearly as influential as Mr. Bear.

So, chalk up a vote for Fred Bear.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:03 am

Fred Bear has certainly been the most influential. Miles Keller is another little older guys name I hear thrown around. Warren Womack (not sure the spelling) has killed a ton of deer. I think in 35-40 years Dan will be held in the same type of regard as people like Fred Bear.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am

I've watched a ton of videos, a ton of TV shows, and met a bunch of guys. If there was one bowhunter I wouldn't want hunting me it would be Tim Wells. Watching him kill many animals at extreme long distances while they're moving freaks me out. Howard Hill was also witnessed to consistently kill animals at 75+ yards on the move... with a 100# longbow.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:58 am

Guess I have to go with Fred Bear for deer hunter. Don’t know how many deer he killed but I love reading about Theodore Roosevelt. As far as my hunting idols my Grandfather first then Jim Shokey. The old Jim Shokey hunting giant dark horned giants way up north eh. Have some old hunting books that I use to read constantly back before the internet and the highlight was always looking at those trophy pics.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:12 pm

Nobody has said Roger Raglin yet jimminy christmas.
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:16 pm

muddy wrote:I've watched a ton of videos, a ton of TV shows, and met a bunch of guys. If there was one bowhunter I wouldn't want hunting me it would be Tim Wells. Watching him kill many animals at extreme long distances while they're moving freaks me out. Howard Hill was also witnessed to consistently kill animals at 75+ yards on the move... with a 100# longbow.

He freaks me out too. I don't understand how he does what he does :shock:
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:41 pm

Barry & Gene Wensel, Myles Keller would be right at the top.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:49 pm

live2hunt wrote:Guess I have to go with Fred Bear for deer hunter. Don’t know how many deer he killed but I love reading about Theodore Roosevelt. As far as my hunting idols my Grandfather first then Jim Shokey. The old Jim Shokey hunting giant dark horned giants way up north eh. Have some old hunting books that I use to read constantly back before the internet and the highlight was always looking at those trophy pics.

Roosevelt did a lot for conservation in this country.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:03 pm

Larry Benoit is another name from back in the day, a great tracker.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”