Opening Day

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stretchy

Opening Day

Unread postby Stretchy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:53 pm

This is my first year hunting beast style on public land. I have spent tons of time reading, researching, scouting, etc. I have identified a lot of potential set ups ( buck Bedding areas as well as specific beds.) How do I decide where to start or more specifically, sit on opening day? What factors would help you determine how to prioritize your spots? Thanks!!!

-Stretch
Trout
500 Club

Re: Opening Day

Unread postby Trout » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:10 pm

My plan is to wait till a few days before and see what direction the wind will be from, then pick one of my spots that is right for that wind. If I've got a target deer by then, I'll cross my fingers that that wind is right for where he is in the early season. If I dont have a target deer, Ill be hunting terrain features right for that wind in areas I know good deer exist.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 pm

Trout wrote:My plan is to wait till a few days before and see what direction the wind will be from, then pick one of my spots that is right for that wind. If I've got a target deer by then, I'll cross my fingers that that wind is right for where he is in the early season. If I dont have a target deer, Ill be hunting terrain features right for that wind in areas I know good deer exist.

This is what I’m thinking. Although I will miss the opening two days, which gets me a little anxious, but I’m taking the following week off. There are a few spots I’m not sure of in terms of acorn crop for this year, but there’s no way I’m going to go in and find out until the day I hunt them.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:00 pm

I’m going into an area pretty much blind, picking my access based on wind, and scouting until I find hot sign, and setting up on it.

Pretty much sums up how my season is gonna go given the circumstances this year. It’ll be fun
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Jonny wrote:I’m going into an area pretty much blind, picking my access based on wind, and scouting until I find hot sign, and setting up on it.

Pretty much sums up how my season is gonna go given the circumstances this year. It’ll be fun

I’ve got a lot of that in my future too. But that’s part of the fun.

Here’s good luck to ya! :beer: :beer:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Start first in the area with the most shooters. If it has the right bedding features and a good food source they use that time of year sit it. Scout the few days heading into the opener glassing or shining.With no history in an area it might be tough to pick the right spot right away. These guys on this forum have been hunting their areas beast style for years and just know.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:48 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Jonny wrote:I’m going into an area pretty much blind, picking my access based on wind, and scouting until I find hot sign, and setting up on it.

I’ve got a lot of that in my future too. But that’s part of the fun.

Here’s good luck to ya! :beer: :beer:

Best way to learn is by going out and not being afraid of failing. Only need to get it right once this year. Think I can do that
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:25 pm

Before the season I go through my list of bedding areas and refine them to time of year based on previous seasons' observations or my best guess based on the sign, cover, and food. Repeat the process each year while adding and removing new and old ones. After a couple years youve got a pretty good grasp of annual patterns.

If the ones you've got dont stand out as early season, pick an area near bedding to glass the am, midday scout, and go from there.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:23 pm

If conditions are right, start in an area that gives you confidence. Confidence is key
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:14 am

Wind direction should be the first thing considered as to what bedding area is being used.

Then which direction is the nearest water and food source.
Bucks at least in my experience like to drop down low when they first get up because thermals began to fall around that time.

Obviously unless you get a super strong crosswind you can't hunt upwind of the buck so that eliminates a direction most of the time.

After these it's really a go with your gut instinct. This is where I struggle. Which trail direction was the most beaten down path leaving that bedding might help.

You can also factor in weather if it's very dry and no wind hunting oaks is going to be hard to get close to bedding undetected. Might be best to wait for a windy or rainy day.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:45 am

A friend and I are tag teaming a large piece of public that i've never set foot on but he has, he assures me there was lots of good sign. I've done a lot of virtual scouting on it, our basic plan is to go in blind and scout hunt likely bedding areas for that days wind and set up when we find what we like. Its a bit of a drive and we both have kids 3 and under, so we haven't had the time to do the boots on the ground scouting, hopefully our plans pay off.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:21 am

I have 3-4 different spots in mind. All but one are in corn this year so observation is iffy. I will be observing 2 spots during the evenings in the week leading up to opening day. If I see what I want, I will hunt there. If not, I will hunt other areas based on wind and weather.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:39 am

mheichelbech wrote:I have 3-4 different spots in mind. All but one are in corn this year so observation is iffy. I will be observing 2 spots during the evenings in the week leading up to opening day. If I see what I want, I will hunt there. If not, I will hunt other areas based on wind and weather.

Sounds like some of the spots I had in mind. Tough to glass over 8-foot-tall corn 300 yards away. I'm going to do it few more observation sits before the season and then move in at the opener, probably to do more of the same, but from different vantage points. I won't be hunting the actual opening weekend, which kind of bums me out, but I will hunt all of the following week.
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”