Hunting Beast Rookies

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Re: Hunting Beast Rookies

Unread postby krent12 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:04 pm

The thing that helped me best last year(rookie year) was scouting all the spots i hunt after watching and reading from the beast. Then, i went through old photos from the last 5-8 years and made sense of why that buck was there, where he was going, time of year, time of day, etc. You will have a come to jesus moment on a buck or 7 that you will slap yourself because you didnt see what infomation he gave you.

This type of approach is how i killed my first beast buck. a 139" 9 pt. mid october. What has me excited for this year is the very next day at the exact same time an even bigger buck did the same thing.

good luck beasts

Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:33 pm

stash59 wrote:Been bowhunting whitetails since 1972. Yet I never thought I ever knew everything about it.

Joined the Beast in 2014, and got humbled even more by the knowledge Dan and many other Beasts had. That willingness to always keep learning has kept my mind open.Sure I tried and used alot of pixie dust along the way. Some I feel still has a place in certain circumstances. But the basics of bed hunting will probably serve me well in the seasons to come.

My physical limitations have kept me from putting much boots on the ground time. But I'm getting the first of 2 new hip replacements tomorrow. And once I've recovered from those. I feel the sky is the limit. Although my main objective is to just have a ton of fun!!!!

Been following the Beast since I met Dan the summer of 2014. My experience is much the same. Best of luck to you on the hip surgery!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:37 am

krent12 wrote:The thing that helped me best last year(rookie year) was scouting all the spots i hunt after watching and reading from the beast. Then, i went through old photos from the last 5-8 years and made sense of why that buck was there, where he was going, time of year, time of day, etc. You will have a come to jesus moment on a buck or 7 that you will slap yourself because you didnt see what infomation he gave you.

This.

My first year I think I had 74 ah-ha moments :lol:
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:05 am

Lockdown wrote:
krent12 wrote:The thing that helped me best last year(rookie year) was scouting all the spots i hunt after watching and reading from the beast. Then, i went through old photos from the last 5-8 years and made sense of why that buck was there, where he was going, time of year, time of day, etc. You will have a come to jesus moment on a buck or 7 that you will slap yourself because you didnt see what infomation he gave you.

This.

My first year I think I had 74 ah-ha moments :lol:

great post !
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:37 am

I am experienced, wouldn't say I'm proficient lol. I hunted public for many years but I've had mentors who were meat hunters and I picked up their "brown n down" mentality. I shot countless doe and nothing but 1 1/2 old buck because that's the first thing I'd see. I usually had a dozen or so pre-set stands I'd rotate through and I would usually achieve the goal of at least 2-3 doe and a small buck pretty quickly before I burned up my spots (I learned I burned them much more quickly then I thought on here lol). It wasn't till I found the beast and got some of Dan's dvds I learned I was taught totally wrong. Looking forward to trying what I can from my learning.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:43 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I am experienced, wouldn't say I'm proficient lol. I hunted public for many years but I've had mentors who were meat hunters and I picked up their "brown n down" mentality. I shot countless doe and nothing but 1 1/2 old buck because that's the first thing I'd see. I usually had a dozen or so pre-set stands I'd rotate through and I would usually achieve the goal of at least 2-3 doe and a small buck pretty quickly before I burned up my spots (I learned I burned them much more quickly then I thought on here lol). It wasn't till I found the beast and got some of Dan's dvds I learned I was taught totally wrong. Looking forward to trying what I can from my learning.

I think you are relating how a lot of guys hunt in my home area, that's for sure. There"s gold in them there hills but you've gotta work for it.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:50 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I am experienced, wouldn't say I'm proficient lol. I hunted public for many years but I've had mentors who were meat hunters and I picked up their "brown n down" mentality. I shot countless doe and nothing but 1 1/2 old buck because that's the first thing I'd see. I usually had a dozen or so pre-set stands I'd rotate through and I would usually achieve the goal of at least 2-3 doe and a small buck pretty quickly before I burned up my spots (I learned I burned them much more quickly then I thought on here lol). It wasn't till I found the beast and got some of Dan's dvds I learned I was taught totally wrong. Looking forward to trying what I can from my learning.

I think you are relating how a lot of guys hunt in my home area, that's for sure. There"s gold in them there hills but you've gotta work for it.

That describes a lot of folks I know as well in SE WI. I applaud them for being decisive killers, but I’m willing to go to greater lengths to get what floats my boat. We’ll see if it floats this year or runs aground. :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:06 am

live2hunt wrote:Great post. I realized just the other day while reading a new beast post that I’ve learned a lot here. I was once was that excited newbie almost cocky stage when I first joined since I had some nice kills under my belt. Once I dug deeper I realized there was another level. I do not hunt 100% true beast style but I have read/learned enough here to form my own style. I combine hunting methods from multiple well seasoned hunters and have a tool box of tactics. I have the info here to feed the obsession and the grit push harder. All that said thanks Dan and BEAST members.

The blunders never really end. Last year I walked in a mile or so. Snuck down a drainage the last couple hundred yards. Picked a tree hung my stand. Perfect setup never made a sound also had great cover and shots. I was in a pinch just back from a point with heavy dead falls where I had found a bed and old sign during turkey season. I was between the bed and fresh cut corn field. Was in the tree for about 15minutes and it began to downpour. It rained right up to 30 minutes before sunset. Five minutes before legal light it was darker than normal because of the clouds from the storm. I called it quits. Lowered my bow and started my climb down. Just as soon as my foot hit the first step I heard a deer blow and bound 15yards away from the way I expected him to come. You all know what big deer sound like leaving. My first thought was Beasts wouldn’t quit early and began to remove my stand. Thought about my mistake on my walk back but didn’t dwell. I chalked it up a lose and went right on planning my next move.

They really never end, as you said. :lol: I think we control them better than we did earlier in our hunting careers.

It was only a few years ago I pulled off getting a stand set up (portable hunting) within 70 yards of a mature buck. I knew right where he would be. I prepared to make my final ascent to the tree stand and stepped on the wet root of a white cedar. After a 5 step sideways shuffle into a dead tree on the ground and crashing into the dead branches as I fell (very loud!) the big boy got up and actually snorted once as he headed for deeper swamp.

I laugh about it now, but I was one ticked off hombre for a long, long time... too long. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”