Camera advice

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Djp32

Camera advice

Unread postby Djp32 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:16 pm

I’m in a little bit of a situation where I need some advice. About 2 hours from home i hunt a piece of public land in Maryland. I set 2 cameras up there on 7/13 in a place previously scouted last winter for the first time. Every thing looked great from a scouting standpoint but I’m not sure what quality of bucks are in the area. Maryland bow season comes in on 9/6 which is a Friday. This spot probably sets up better for the rut since it’s on the downwind lower side of the hill below a 10 year old clear cut and doe bedding but with the true “early season” opener I thought if I had some good intel than I could capitalize on it right off the bat. I’d like to check the cameras 1 time to see what’s going on and pick a tree this weekend (sat for 4 weeks) but with only 4 weeks left till the opener would it be wiser to let them soak for the full 8 weeks and check them the day I want to hunt it or take my chances this weekend and possibly pick a better tree for my first sit? I know this area doesn’t get much if any archery pressure and it’s been gated off since the end of last season so I don’t think any one has been in there except me for months. The gates will probably open a week before the season so there a chance it could get some traffic right at crunch time. I really want to check them but my gut tells me to let them go. I just never got to hunt that early and every year I com-lain about how we here in pa don’t really have an early season and all my camera work all summer is usually at best inventory only.

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Camera advice

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:55 pm

I think you will be doing more harm than good if you go in there now. If you must, go do it during a heavy rain storm. If not, check them when you hunt it.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:03 pm

I can understand your thoughts

But asking for advise also makes me think your gut may be telling you not to mess with the area.

My advice, trust your scouting!! If you need a picture confirmation, check the cam on your way to your kill tree, on the opening afternoon (if the wind is correct)
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:09 pm

At this point I would wait and check it when you hunt it. This will give you 8 full weeks of cam pics and will give you a good idea of what is there.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:27 am

Looks like I’ll be waiting till my first hunt... thanks guys

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”