ATV activity

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dcella

ATV activity

Unread postby Dcella » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:52 am

So do four wheelers affect deer movement? And how bad do they affect deer movement? I hunt a lot of public land in NY and it’s all NYC DEP that is not patrolled in anyway by the department. Ever single piece of property has atvs on it, I want to know if I should be even trying to hunt these pieces of property or just stick to vast areas of state land where I can avoid this issue?

Dpierce72
500 Club

Re: ATV activity

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:22 am

Personally, I think ATV/UTV are more of a frustration to the hunters than the deer. I'm sure 'it depends', but I wouldn't let them ruin my hunt ...assuming its 2-3 every so often and not a parade of them.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:34 am

Boy am I glad I don't have to deal with that mess. The public I hunt atv/utv's can only be used for retrieve game and not allowed in the woods. Only on marked trails, powerlines and pipelines.

But I would have to think it would bother me more then it would bother the deer.

I'm sure if you went 20 foot are so inside the thick brush just off those atv trails. You will find all kinds of deer sign and beds.

Deer aren't dumb. They will pattern those atv's just as easy as they will pattern a hunters foot trail from his scent.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:16 am

It's very frustrating for hunters.

I find bucks watching ATV trails watching them.
Trying to hunt near a atv trail is annoying psychology for the hunter. It is very depressing to have ATV go right next to you or a horseback rider.

My issue is our Twra and wardens just let the atv riders make new trails all over the place. I've seen atv trails destroy completely destroy huge chunks of riverbottoms.

I have a ATV but I learned real quick it spooked deer more then anything.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:25 pm

Thankfully, in Missouri on MDC land, you cannot use 4 wheelers. I can tell you from my experience on private, that deer are skeerd of 4 wheelers around here. I've watch them run from the mere sound of my neighbors 4 wheeler, for the past 20 yrs. A tractor, or familiar vehicle on the otherhand, may not bother them. The only time I use a 4wheeler on our property is for off season enhancement projects or occasionally bringing in a deer, sometime after dark. I am sure if you used your 4 wheeler to pull in a feed wagon full of corn on a regular basis but never offered any harm towards the deer, they would soon be unafraid of your 4 wheeler. But for all other applications, around here, I would err on the side of caution and assume it skeers the crap out of ever deer within earshot. The deer figure out what we are doing in the woods before we do, most of the time.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Spell correct drives me nuts it's always changing words to something different or typing stuff twice.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:37 am

They make some nice overlooked areas 8-)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”