What Northern big woods pressure looks like...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: What Northern big woods pressure looks like...

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:27 am

Onemanwolphpack wrote:Doesn't matter which predator is after them. They'll find the most secure bedding that keeps them out. Think water for an osbtacle. Then maybe elevations with long ranges of sight, in all directions.

That is the line of thinking I've followed. Its tough because I have "too many" bedding options, with nothing but woods and tamarack swamps for miles. I've found beds in all the spots I've learned to look for on the beast. Benches, islands, bowls, points, all of them. Just not a high enough deer density for all of them to be used.[/quote]

Haven't been up north for quite a few years. Not since learning Beast tactics. Early season bed hunting at times seems like it would be an effort in futility. I think it would get easier once the pre-rut starts. Then concentrating on beds near doe bedding or hunting travel routes between doe bedding. Often easier to find the does or at least fresh doe sign.

In another thread about northwoods hunting I mentioned about finding diversity. The Hunting Public guys emphasis this alot. The better the diversity, the more likely you'll find the deer. Add that with the inclusion of great security cover. Should help pinpoint some areas to at least start from. Definitely alot of work involved though.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:34 am

New here
First post

I am from northern vermont
Probably have the lowest population of deer in the states
Some of the hardest winters
And some of the best hunters in the entire country and everyone hunts.
We hunt 10-20,000 acre patches woods minimum

Predator pressure dosnt seem to effect real big woods deer.
Human pressure will.
But like the benoits allways have said and I have found true

No matter pressure these big bucks in true big woods will almost always do a circle every 3-4 days to check there beds they were bumped off.

I dont know why but almost everytime I jump a buck 3 days later they circle back to that same spot.

And these hunting public guys everyone is talking about lately are hunting areas with a ton of deer.
Id like to see them come to maine, new hampshire and vermont they would hunt a week and struggle to kill a doe
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 am

802bowhunter wrote:New here
First post

I am from northern vermont
Probably have the lowest population of deer in the states
Some of the hardest winters
And some of the best hunters in the entire country and everyone hunts.
We hunt 10-20,000 acre patches woods minimum

Predator pressure dosnt seem to effect real big woods deer.
Human pressure will.
But like the benoits allways have said and I have found true

No matter pressure these big bucks in true big woods will almost always do a circle every 3-4 days to check there beds they were bumped off.

I dont know why but almost everytime I jump a buck 3 days later they circle back to that same spot.

And these hunting public guys everyone is talking about lately are hunting areas with a ton of deer.
Id like to see them come to maine, new hampshire and vermont they would hunt a week and struggle to kill a doe

Big fan of the Benoits too. Been a wanna be snow tracker ever since I read one of the first magazine articles about Larry back in school, early '70's. For sure your in a different deer world in your neck of the woods. I know THP guys probably wouldn't kill anything spending a week hunting in Vermont. But they'd enjoy the challenge and have fun trying!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”