Creek Access

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stretchy

Creek Access

Unread postby Stretchy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:12 pm

I am hunting a piece of public this year that will require me to use the creek to sneak in and out. Any suggestions on what type of craft to invest in? It can be pretty shallow at spots and I'll need to carry it a decent distance to access the creek depending where I am hunting. Also I'll need to be able to transport gear (stand, sticks, bow etc.) on it. Thanks for the help!

-Stretch

-Stretch
jman22
500 Club

Re: Creek Access

Unread postby jman22 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:04 pm

How deep is the creek and how far back are you going? If its super shallow in some spots and over your head in others sounds like you are limited to a open faced kayak that you can strap gear on. If there is a lot of shallow water that a kayak wont go through you might just have to walk in and hit the bank when you get to spots that are too deep to wade.
Stretchy

Unread postby Stretchy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:10 am

jman22 wrote:How deep is the creek and how far back are you going? If its super shallow in some spots and over your head in others sounds like you are limited to a open faced kayak that you can strap gear on. If there is a lot of shallow water that a kayak wont go through you might just have to walk in and hit the bank when you get to spots that are too deep to wade.

Yeah it's just like you said, shallow in some spots and very deep and wide in others. I will most likely be on the creek for at least a half mile or more in order to access certain spots. I'm not familiar at all with kayaks, is an open face the same as a sit on top kayak?
-Stretch
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:53 am

If the creek bank is steep and you can I'd hoof it, unless you're worried about the drag. Half mile is really not that bad of a drag.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:33 am

Stretchy wrote:
jman22 wrote:How deep is the creek and how far back are you going? If its super shallow in some spots and over your head in others sounds like you are limited to a open faced kayak that you can strap gear on. If there is a lot of shallow water that a kayak wont go through you might just have to walk in and hit the bank when you get to spots that are too deep to wade.

Yeah it's just like you said, shallow in some spots and very deep and wide in others. I will most likely be on the creek for at least a half mile or more in order to access certain spots. I'm not familiar at all with kayaks, is an open face the same as a sit on top kayak?

Yes, same thing. You're going to want something that's easy to get in and out of and something that you can tie your gear down onto.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”