Reflective Marking Tape?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Randyflash

Reflective Marking Tape?

Unread postby Randyflash » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:18 am

Wondering what you guys think of the use (or overuse) of reflective marking tape... I hunt public land in Michigan and often come across tape in the woods. And when i do encounter it I generally find tons... makes no sense at all to me, it appears these guys are marking rubs, scrapes and trails with bright green or orange tape. For one this would leave scent everywhere they intend to hunt but also would tip off any would be hunter to the sign they’ve found... I get the purpose of using it to mark your way in and out of the swamp but would prefer reflective tacks as they are less of an eye sore... at what point does this just become litter?

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Reflective Marking Tape?

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:11 am

It's dang near epidemic level in PA as well. It hacks me off walking through the woods and all you see is glow tacks. To me it's all litter and I pick up all litter I find in the woods. Party ballons, beer cans, tacks; every scouting mission I come home with lots of trash. Been reporting every illegal treestand too, I'm just really sick of it. And beyond stupid to advertise your hunting spot but I guess some folks just can't get around in the dark without getting lost.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:11 pm

Ok so it’s not just me... and yes i find at least 2 illegal stands per scouting trip. I’ve reported these to the dnr in the past but it appears they are either too busy or just don’t care about this. Very frustrating don’t really know the right way to handle it... if I were to remove the stands myself it’s stealing, if i leave them then I’m contributing to the problem and letting the violators win. Wish there was a sensible solution... part of me wants to just post the coordinates on Craigslist and say “do with information what you will”...
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:54 pm

I find the same thing here. There are illegal deer stands, tape, and tacks everywhere. I don’t think the DNR wants to mess with them or just doesn’t have the time/resources. Give it another 20 years and it’s going to look like a playground on some of our public lands with all these stands being put up and never taken down. I don’t think it will get better with the increasing hunters on public lands.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:48 pm

I admit to previously using trail tape but quit years ago after seeing what it looked like as it aged. Plus with a decent gps, a phone, and a compass you'll get to where your trying to go eventually. My father in law was and is paranoid of getting lost so I would flag trails all over the place. Last weekend I removed a string that had been up for like five years. It really does tarnish the wilderness. I have a roll in my pack to mark downed game but that’s it these days. Unfortunately loggers, dnr, survey crews, off roaring, and snowmobile clubs all use it so it’s pretty much all over.
Persistence is undefeated.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:49 pm

I carry a small roll of orange tape and a small package of tacks in my pack. It's for marking game as others have suggested. Even with a GPS it can be hard to find a down deer again in the dark. They're accurate but not that accurate and a deer disappears in thick bush after dark.
I've used tacks to mark prepped trees and sometimes a trail as well. Again, GPS is accurate but not super accurate and that tack may mean the difference between knee high or shoulder high waters... When you have to hit your marks, especially in the dark, the tacks are impossible to beat.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:11 pm

I've mentioned the excessive flagging tape in the past. If someone is that worried about getting lost toilet paper is a more environment friendly solution. After all its biodegradable. As for the illegal stands, I don't have the time or desire to report stands.
In areas with a lot of flagging and permanent stands it can be a good visual representation of where the majority of folks hunt. If you cant find isolated pockets without either, your sucess rate will be similar to those leaving the sign.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:17 pm

I find that it's typically the lazy hunters going into the lazy spots using the flagging tape. Gun hunters more so than bow hunters.

Freakin hate the crap and wish it was outlawed, but anymore lots of guys just do what they want in the woods like there are no rules....it's sickening.

And I've said it before, but I'd be a rich man if I pulled down every illegal stand I've found and sold them for scrap....it's crazy in some areas.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:11 pm

Flagging - hate plastic ribbon of any color, will use small pieces of toilet paper while trailing however. And I always have it for ‘dual purposes’ :lol:

Tacs - VERY rarely (if ever use) but as PRE Ban said, GPS only gets so close ...so in some areas, I will place 3 tacs approx 12’ high in a hunting tree. Normally the height and location prevent anyone from ever seeing them. NEVER use them for marking tails or entry routes.

Glow Stick - will leave these at recovery site if I need to go get cart/sled and drop gear before coming back to quickly find recovery site (pressure/other hunter pending).

Tree Stands - Heck ...I mark them all and it’s helpful intel while cyber scouting. You can isolate other hunters/routes of travel. Problem is MOST are ‘abondened’. I wonder, legally, if taking ‘abandoned’ items are actually theft. Especially when Arkansas law is clear all stands must be removed from public lands w/in 7 days of season. Probably a question for an attorney, but my guess is taking something that has been abondend is actually the same as picking up liter (candy wrappers, coke bottles, etc). Perhaps I’m wrong. Most, however, are junk and would only be good for scrap. And I’m not that motivated. I have lots of gps coordinates, but have never turned them over to AGFC.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 am

Same here on Ohio public lands, tape, tacks, illegal stands even have found illegal bait sites. Trash like you wouldnt believe and we wonder why hunters get a bad name from some people.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:13 pm

I remember when we were kids that tacs were popular. We used to follow them and reset them to take the guy off course. :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:44 pm

cspot wrote:I remember when we were kids that tacs were popular. We used to follow them and reset them to take the guy off course. :lol:

I still do that. :lol:
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:00 pm

I use the flagging tape to mark false trails just off the road ways on the wma I hunt. Helps keep all the lazy hunters out my way and away from areas I want too hunt.

I go in bout a week before bow opener and mark about 40 trails 30 to 60 yards into the woods and a tree. Those spots will have a truck parked at it every morning and evening all season. Works great.

I don't use the tac's much except along the bayou where I use my boat too get into the area. I mark the spots I want to park and tie up my boat with them.

I GPS mark every stand and pop up blind I find and turn it over to the first warden I see. Most times they ask me too bring it out with me the next hunt and turn it over too them. Some wardens do go get them.

End of season I buy them for dirt cheap at the silent auction and then turn around and sell them for profit to guys in my local area. Probably some of the same guys that hung and leavt them.

I have to pay and play by the rules everyone else has too as well. I'm Buick too turn someone in if I catch them breaking a wma, state or federal rule or law.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:11 am

Yup. Use everwhat you need to make your hunt safer and more enjoyable, just take your mess with you when you leave. The woods around here are littered with all of the above mentioned crap. I remove as much of it as I can, when I find it. People who intentionally leave anything in the woods other than their foot tracks are slobs. :angry-cussingblack:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”