HB TV Episode #3 Questions

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

freezeAR
500 Club

HB TV Episode #3 Questions

Unread postby freezeAR » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 am

First off let me say that I feel like this episode is a great example of Dan's style of hunting. From cyber scouting, boots on ground scouting, determining a kill tree, executing the plan and then being a solid guy to put the video up despite knowing the haters will come. So thanks Dan for setting a great example and living up to your nickname. When I talk Beast tactics to a select few of my open minded friends this is the link I send.

Link for anyone who has not seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD396slTRO4

I believe it was asked before when the video was put up but all I could find was a comment that stated something like, yea I noticed the wind was blowing from a different direction. Forgive me if it has been discussed more. In the video when the bed was marked a yellow arrow indicated an optimal wind. If the map was N then the arrow (wind) was blowing from the NE to SW. When Dan was in the bed a comment was made that the predominant wind was opposite of that. When the transition line was walked Dan made the comment that the transition was on the interior of the marsh. Was the bed not wind specific?

Reason I am asking is, if I put myself in Dan's shoes I would have to think that I would not have hunted on that particular day due to wind not being, in my opinion, "correct". A few scenario's that I can think of that would make sense to me:
+ Being interior of marsh it might be a non wind specific bed.
+ Wind changed during day.
+ Combination of corn and predominant wind blowing from the access to buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD396slTRO4

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: HB TV Episode #3 Questions

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:07 am

The bed was non-wind specific. In heavy cover all around. Set up for wind. But even though a wind from behind would be best for that bed, that would actually be an east wind. I turn maps and give wrong directions in a lot of videos when I use actual maps of the spot (a lot of the time I use similar maps to throw people off who hunt locally) I was East of the bed. The buck was E.S.E of me. and the wind was W.S.W. making it a just off wind. The buck was entering my wind stream when I shot him.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:28 am

I usually use the wind as the primary factor determining where I hunt because most beds I find are wind specific. I am guessing other factors were keyed in on for determining when to hunt the bed?
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 pm

dan wrote:The bed was non-wind specific. In heavy cover all around. Set up for wind. But even though a wind from behind would be best for that bed, that would actually be an east wind. I turn maps and give wrong directions in a lot of videos when I use actual maps of the spot (a lot of the time I use similar maps to throw people off who hunt locally) I was East of the bed. The buck was E.S.E of me. and the wind was W.S.W. making it a just off wind. The buck was entering my wind stream when I shot him.

Dan. Is this true in pretty much all terrains? I found one bed this year that was on a point and completely worn, but as I sat in the bed and faced where he would normally be facing (given the ridge and point), I was staring at a wall of thick. His sight was completely hindered to the point where I realized I could get to him (in theory) in any wind direction and him seeing me wouldn’t even be a factor. Would you consider that an any wind bed?
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu May 09, 2019 11:27 pm

dan wrote:The bed was non-wind specific. In heavy cover all around. Set up for wind. But even though a wind from behind would be best for that bed, that would actually be an east wind. I turn maps and give wrong directions in a lot of videos when I use actual maps of the spot (a lot of the time I use similar maps to throw people off who hunt locally) I was East of the bed. The buck was E.S.E of me. and the wind was W.S.W. making it a just off wind. The buck was entering my wind stream when I shot him.

Do you mean West? Not sure how you can be east of the bed and the buck was ESE of you.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 10, 2019 4:27 am

funderburk wrote:

Dan. Is this true in pretty much all terrains? I found one bed this year that was on a point and completely worn, but as I sat in the bed and faced where he would normally be facing (given the ridge and point), I was staring at a wall of thick. His sight was completely hindered to the point where I realized I could get to him (in theory) in any wind direction and him seeing me wouldn’t even be a factor. Would you consider that an any wind bed?

there are wind specific beds, and non-wind specific beds in every terrain. I have seen some examples of bucks bedded on hills with the wrong wind facing up hill with thick to back, or more often bedding leeward, but no vision. Remember that during the day he has rising thermals coming thru that thick, so he can smell from that direction... There are variable's for sure, but there is always a reason... Mature bucks don't do anything hap-hazard or random. Knowing how they bed in every terrain helps you understand the varibles better cause there are examples of all terrain types of bedding within every terrain... So when we talk about "hill" bedding, there will still be some bedding that mimics farm, or swamp, or marsh....

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”