Tips on planning a rut trip

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

J.W.83

Tips on planning a rut trip

Unread postby J.W.83 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:40 am

Was interested in getting advice from all you vets. I will be relegated to hunting weekends the upcoming season, due to no public land being close enough to hunt for a weekday evening after work. I have already done a scouting trip and feel fairly good on a spot about 2-1/2 hours away, that I haven’t hunted yet. It’s over 2000 acres, and I’m not sure on how heavily pressured, but I’ll assume it gets hunted a lot. I will likely take a week off from work in early November to time it with the rut, so I’m not sure whether to dedicate it to this spot I’ve settled on for weekend access, or capitalize on the time I have to travel further, and go somewhere else public in Illinois, that may or may not be less pressured/more deer-dense. I’d even be open to other states, but that adds a lot of moving parts. I can find pros and cons for both plans, but thought I’d see what you guys think. I likely won’t have time to gather any intel on a spot further away, other than topo and satellite scouting and IDNR info. Thanks in advance.

hoyt31786

Re: Tips on planning a rut trip

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:15 am

I hunt several different public areas here in Ohio and have hunted some other states as well. From my experience I can assure you that the first week of November gets hammered. The first couple weeks of November receive a lot of pressure then as you get farther into November theres a significant drop in pressure from what I see. Everyone wants the "Vegas Luck" and wants to hunt the prime rut which is understandable. Not saying you cant find success during these times bc you can but often times when hunting highly pressured public land I find it better to hunt the not so favorable times. I think early and late in my opinion is the best times to pattern and kill specific bucks . Don't get me wrong lots of bucks hit the ground during the rut . I just know here in Ohio the first week its hard to find empty parking spots non residents and residents hit it hard! I only have the weekends to hunt bc of work schedule as well. As far as where to go I have found it better to stick with one public area and really try to get to know it and dial it in. I used to feel like I need to scout every public area and have all the options. Our publics pretty spread out so would be driving pretty far to get to a lot of them . Sometimes its frustrating to drive that far and run into pressure so here lately ive been trying to just really dial in on one area and get to know it like the back of my hand. I know the quality of bucks are there that im looking for so haven't seen the need to move on to another spot yet. It still receives a lot of pressure but im learning where and finding to little pockets where I can find success. Plus if you hunt early you can beat a lot of that pressure bc I would say its down significant earlier throughout October as well everyone thinks theres a lull...Ive never seen it lol I dunno if this helps you at all but wish you the best!
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:23 am

hoyt31786 wrote:I hunt several different public areas here in Ohio and have hunted some other states as well. From my experience I can assure you that the first week of November gets hammered. The first couple weeks of November receive a lot of pressure then as you get farther into November theres a significant drop in pressure from what I see. Everyone wants the "Vegas Luck" and wants to hunt the prime rut which is understandable. Not saying you cant find success during these times bc you can but often times when hunting highly pressured public land I find it better to hunt the not so favorable times. I think early and late in my opinion is the best times to pattern and kill specific bucks . Don't get me wrong lots of bucks hit the ground during the rut . I just know here in Ohio the first week its hard to find empty parking spots non residents and residents hit it hard! I only have the weekends to hunt bc of work schedule as well. As far as where to go I have found it better to stick with one public area and really try to get to know it and dial it in. I used to feel like I need to scout every public area and have all the options. Our publics pretty spread out so would be driving pretty far to get to a lot of them . Sometimes its frustrating to drive that far and run into pressure so here lately ive been trying to just really dial in on one area and get to know it like the back of my hand. I know the quality of bucks are there that im looking for so haven't seen the need to move on to another spot yet. It still receives a lot of pressure but im learning where and finding to little pockets where I can find success. Plus if you hunt early you can beat a lot of that pressure bc I would say its down significant earlier throughout October as well everyone thinks theres a lull...Ive never seen it lol I dunno if this helps you at all but wish you the best!

I also forgot to mention its always good to still do your computer scouting at home on new areas that way if you ever do get time or wanna go somewhere new your already ahead of the game when u get there!
J.W.83

Unread postby J.W.83 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:50 am

Interesting, and well said, thanks. You’re right — I’m sure I’m not the only one with the idea of taking off work and slipping in on weekdays during the rut. The first gun season here in IL is mid-november, so November in general I’m sure is big time pressure. The main area I’m focusing on this year is an archery only spot. Sure, I like the idea of the rut increasing my odds, especially for daylight activity, but I would trade that in for a lower pressure situation using beast tactics before it gets hit hard in a heart beat. Maybe I’ll just focus on learning my prime spot, getting better at scouting and hunting it, and take off the last week in October to beat the rush.
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:05 pm

J.W.83 wrote:Interesting, and well said, thanks. You’re right — I’m sure I’m not the only one with the idea of taking off work and slipping in on weekdays during the rut. The first gun season here in IL is mid-november, so November in general I’m sure is big time pressure. The main area I’m focusing on this year is an archery only spot. Sure, I like the idea of the rut increasing my odds, especially for daylight activity, but I would trade that in for a lower pressure situation using beast tactics before it gets hit hard in a heart beat. Maybe I’ll just focus on learning my prime spot, getting better at scouting and hunting it, and take off the last week in October to beat the rush.

Mid late october can be phenomenal! They are starting to cover more ground testosterone is surging and they arent quite on the does full bore! When they are on the does your at the mercy of that doe hoping she brings him by! Yea our gun season is monday after thanksgiving. But i can tell you even from like November 10- 25 the hunter numbers drop from first couple weeks and can still be good rut action! Good luck !
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:22 pm

hoyt31786 wrote:
J.W.83 wrote:Interesting, and well said, thanks. You’re right — I’m sure I’m not the only one with the idea of taking off work and slipping in on weekdays during the rut. The first gun season here in IL is mid-november, so November in general I’m sure is big time pressure. The main area I’m focusing on this year is an archery only spot. Sure, I like the idea of the rut increasing my odds, especially for daylight activity, but I would trade that in for a lower pressure situation using beast tactics before it gets hit hard in a heart beat. Maybe I’ll just focus on learning my prime spot, getting better at scouting and hunting it, and take off the last week in October to beat the rush.

Mid late october can be phenomenal! They are starting to cover more ground testosterone is surging and they arent quite on the does full bore! When they are on the does your at the mercy of that doe hoping she brings him by! Yea our gun season is monday after thanksgiving. But i can tell you even from like November 10- 25 the hunter numbers drop from first couple weeks and can still be good rut action! Good luck !

I will x2 what Hoyt said. You can almost bet the highest pressure (archery wise) will be the week before gun season opens. Keep in mind weekends will be much higher pressure than mid week. If you get one week off work, I'd pick the week of October 28th. You also have to factor in the bucks might not be full blown rutting then, so scouting bedding itself will be more important. Peak cruising you can set up in any decent funnel and have a chance. But if you do your homework and find some good buck bedding, late October is a GREAT time to catch them coming out of bedding early or heading back in late.

Good luck!
J.W.83

Unread postby J.W.83 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:22 pm

Lockdown, thank you sir!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:58 am

I have moved out of Illinois and have lots of info north and south of St Louis. Pm me if interested.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:10 am

Get out there this spring and scout your but of. Find buck bedding, doe bedding, pinch points, parking areas, access points, etc. Soak it all in now and have a plan so you're not wasting time during your rut trip. Have hunting locations picked out for every wind direction imaginable and make sure your access is going to work. If traveling to scout overnight, find a reasonably priced cabin or motel to stay thats close to where you're hunting so you know what you're getting into during your rut trip. Try cabins at campgrounds and airbnb.

My friends and I are going to scout next weekend for 3 days. This will be our 4th year at this piece of out of state public, but we realize scouting is necessary, and a direct reflection of success rate. You can never have too many hunting spots to choose from...especially during the rut on high pressured public.

Try and find a reliable hunting parter or even a group to go with. It's more fun and a lot more economical than going solo.

As others have said I prefer late Oct or mid Nov.
SILhunter

Unread postby SILhunter » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:44 am

Remember IL firearm is late this year, not till the 22nd. The 4-8th should be a nice week and still 2 weeks before the gun opener
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am

For a rut trip I would keep the timing flexible until you can check the extended forecast and try to line your trip up with favorable weather conditions if that is possible.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”