Ticking off other hunters

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
PK_
500 Club

Re: Ticking off other hunters

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:42 am

Life is too short to get frustrated over a fellow hunter walking thru the woods. Wave, smile, be nice, apologize, offer to move, offer to help if they are successful, wish them luck. I have had no bad encounters since I took up this attitude. I have shot several animals after someone ‘ruined my hunt’, including mature bucks.

Every once in a while you run into a rude guy. But most are Truly salt of the earth even if they have no clue how to hunt or that they may be disturbing ‘your spot’.

But as others have said. Strive to find those spots were this won’t happen.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:33 am

PK_ wrote:Life is too short to get frustrated over a fellow hunter walking thru the woods. Wave, smile, be nice, apologize, offer to move, offer to help if they are successful, wish them luck. I have had no bad encounters since I took up this attitude. I have shot several animals after someone ‘ruined my hunt’, including mature bucks.

Every once in a while you run into a rude guy. But most are Truly salt of the earth even if they have no clue how to hunt or that they may be disturbing ‘your spot’.

Excellent advice and I see the same results, never ran into anyone I wasn't friendly towards and never had a problem either. Even grumpy looking people cheer up when you are nice.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:31 am

PK_ wrote:Life is too short to get frustrated over a fellow hunter walking thru the woods. Wave, smile, be nice, apologize, offer to move, offer to help if they are successful, wish them luck. I have had no bad encounters since I took up this attitude. I have shot several animals after someone ‘ruined my hunt’, including mature bucks.

This is so spot on. "Treat others the way you want to be treated". I have always gone by that rule. I've never had a bad run in with anyone. I'm sure it will happen at some point but there's no reason to worry about 8-)
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:08 am

J.W.83 wrote:Do you move off a spot that you’re confident in when someone passes by? Would seeing stands while scouting affect where the deer sign would otherwise lead you, or how you access a bedding area?

I'm usually not too confident in a spot where other hunters are. Generally I don't see anyone else when I hunt.

Sometimes I hunt spots where I think other hunters in the area will benefit me, but that's rare. And when they see me, I'm friendly. But usually if I see someone else coming through, I may finish the hunt that day, maybe not, it just depends, or I'll move on.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu May 16, 2019 8:45 am

I'll run into hunters occasionally and everyone's pretty cool. I never get perturbed since I have multiple spots to choose from or I take up my second passion of scouting. It' not a big deal to move, but yes, I will move if I see other hunters close by. It's a confidence thing. I can't trust they are using the wind correctly or they are leaving scent in areas I expect the deer to be moving through. Just the stuff you have to deal with on public.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu May 16, 2019 8:56 am

tgreeno wrote:You focus on your scouting and let the cards fall where they may. If you encounter someone, that's part of doing business on public land.

Absolutely :clap:
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu May 16, 2019 9:37 am

__it happens as they say....
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:53 pm

If I drive up and someone is in that area I usually go elsewhere that day. I've scouted enough I know where most people sit sometimes i just enter from a different route away from where they are.

I do my best not to walk by or interrupt other hunters. I do all I can to let noone know where I hunt. Which is why my best spots I hunt during the week when fewer people are around.

A few of my spots I will never sit at on the weekend I never want to risk someone knowing where they are.

I've ran into a few people before at parking spots most have been nice. I spend alot of time scouting hunters keeping track of vehicles, parking and where the nearest known stands are to those locations.Hunters are very predictable and obvious in where they sit.

Most sit the same tree or few trees year after year.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu May 16, 2019 3:02 pm

I purposely set up my schedule to have days off during the week instead. I have never run into another hunter while actually in the woods. I also get off work in time in the AM that I can hunt every morning of the season if I choose to. You can have the weekend hunting/fishing. I fished a lake in Kansas yesterday(tuesday) that had fifty boats on it. I cannot even imagine the weekend.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu May 16, 2019 3:05 pm

l
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri May 17, 2019 5:03 am

The only time I see other hunters. Is when I'm walking out during daylight when I kill. I hunt so far back, i just choose too hunt all day. Might move and hunt a diffrent spot for the evening but never come out.

My nearest spot to a road, pipeline,powerline or trail is just over a mile and half walk.

In my area you can hand me a topo map and I can mark on it every spot you will see guys hunting. And they will be in that same spot plus or minus 25 yards year after year.

In my area if you go 100 yards into the woods your already 50 yards past where anyone else would go.

If you get in an oak flat or creek bottom and go more then 100 yards off where you turned in your past where anyone goes.

I do my best to be at the gate waiting for entrance time in the morning and usually don't make it back to my truck till after legal time to be off the wma closes for the day.

Go early stay all day and go deep. It pays off in the end.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri May 17, 2019 5:27 am

I think I remember reading it's official fellow hunter courtesy that if you find someone else's permanent stand in the woods that you urinate under it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 17, 2019 5:29 am

I’m normally the first one in and last one out so I’m usually the ticked off hunter. :lol:

I hate when somebody walks in on me during prime time but don’t get too upset and stick to my plan. In the past I have either seen or killed good bucks shortly after somebody walked past me.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri May 17, 2019 5:43 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:I think I remember reading it's official fellow hunter courtesy that if you find someone else's permanent stand in the woods that you urinate under it.

I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere too...
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat May 18, 2019 12:28 pm

As for me, I do see other hunters but they are always in the hardwoods. Sometimes I need to go through the hardwoods to get to the deer that move in the daytime. I walked past a hunter 2 yrs ago and felt really bad. I was almost past him so I kept walking just to walk by his partner too. I have hunted the marsh 4 yrs now and never saw a hunter in the wet stuff, only the hardwoods, except one time. Two guys were flashing their headlamps all over. I was heading their way and I got inside of 20 yds of them and it was dark. I said " did ya get one"? They were so surprised that they turned off their headlamps. I said" ( a bit sarcastic and perhaps not the best thing to say ) " I can still see your cigarettes." They said they got bumped out of the hardwoods and no doubt they were totally mixed up and on the either side of a 20' wide river. I took off up stream without another word. They decided to follow me to some degree but still on the other side of the river. This is the only time I ever came across a bow hunter in 4 yrs and never saw one while on my stand. Many reasons for this. I try to get to an area first. if I am first, I get out as fast as i can so noone else drives up and sees where I'm going. If someone is there , I go somewhere else. I refuse to let other hunters see me or know where i am going. I hunt weekdays 90% of the time and if I hunt weekends , it is a nasty day when the Packers are playing. Sunny calm days , I will hunt near a road for fun but serious stands only get the best days when there are no cars in the area unless they are hunting tame ditch chickens, or ducks/ geese. I ask all the duck hunters if they saw deer. They are almost always cool and say they did. I never met a bow hunter that admitted they saw a deer except me. The few times I did see a hunter, I have been polite cause I know I have them beat . It's cause i am so humble that I am so polite.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”