Quick refrence calendar for public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

freezeAR
500 Club

Quick refrence calendar for public

Unread postby freezeAR » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Just curious if any of you guys develop calendars that capture the open season dates of various public lands?

I get tired of constantly referencing guidebook every time I go to hunt a different piece of public. Sesson dates are different, if a gun or muzzleloader hunt occur often dates are different, some are shortened seasons and on top of that several are subject to being closed due to flooding. Also certain areas can have shorter seasons. So I have started to make a calendar that I can put all the dates on for quick reference. I believe this can streamline my decision on what peice to hunt based on conditions.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Quick refrence calendar for public

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Yeah I have filled in a calendar before.
With youth gun season you need blaze....
Alternative season is open so archery tag is no good...... type stuff.

The regs can be overwhelming. Maybe we need an app for that. Lol. Not serious about that.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:36 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:Yeah I have filled in a calendar before.
With youth gun season you need blaze....
Alternative season is open so archery tag is no good...... type stuff.

The regs can be overwhelming. Maybe we need an app for that. Lol. Not serious about that.

We actually have an app for that here in WI. :lol:

I prefer to just take a screenshot in the online regulations and then keep it in my favorite pics folder so I never have to search for the info later and have quick and easy access to it even without cell service.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:44 pm

I am making an excel calendar that I can have on my phone and coputer at work. Otherwise it takes a little time to check 3 or 4 refuges open season dates. On a lot of the public I hunt there is short firearms seasons that is by draw only so no one else is allowed to hunt. I plan to put the duck season dates also so its not a surprise when I get to a spot that I cross paths with the waterfowl crowd.
Based on time of year, wind direction, other conditions and previous scouting I determine where I want to hunt. Then I can refrence calendar and know I'm good or keep going down the list. This should save me a lot of time having to look it up every time. In addition several areas I hunt is flood prone so I usually call or look up river levels.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:40 am

FreezeAR you are right about the duck hunting. I had Mississippi River spots that had tricks to watch for. Open for X number of days then only duck hunters. Water levels up, down, frozen.

Hunting is anything but simple.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:14 am

I think it's a pretty good idea. I hunt five different pieces of public here at home. Some bow only. Some condensed seasons. Some two week muzzleloader seasons. Some state seasons. I try to plan my season around getting to spots before the bulk of the pressure does while also timing it right for perceived buck movement.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:59 pm

There are so many factors to determining what scouted place I will hunt any given day without all the dates to keep track of. Add duck season, different dates for state and federal land and some limited acess spots and I am spending valuable time looking up dates.

I believe the time spent making the caledar will save valuable time during season. I could even add some good moon days and sunrise and sunset times also.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”