Bridge Public Scout

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Bridge Public Scout

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:22 am

Had some time to scout a new (for me) tract of public land in Michigan's lower peninsula. I had an afternoon of free time and decided to put it to good use. In examining the area with topo's and aerial photo's it appears to have great potential. I picked a spot to park and spend a few hours scouting. Once i got out of the truck I headed for a small point that jutted out into the swamp. I only found 2 rubs that looked like a 2 year old would make. At the end of the point I could see a decent buck run heading out into the swamp and a couple of small trees. I located a couple of buck beds at the base of the trees but they hadn't been used in a while.

Moving on i found a couple of buck bedding areas that again appeared to be used by a 2 year old. I decided it was time to get a handle on the age class of bucks in this swamp by closely examining some rubs. I had located a relatively open area of hardwoods that was somewhat remote on the edge of the swamp and I moved in that directlon. I don't necessarily expect to find buck bedding there but the hardwoods surrounded by dense cover encourage bucks to rub. On arrival I found some decent public land rubs, a fair number made by a buck or bucks that were 3 year olds judgeing by the height of the rub and size of the tree, tine marks above the main rub, tracks and droppings in the area.

I'm always glad to find 3 year olds, in Michigan high pressure areas they are a real challenge. Based on the rubs and runs, tracks etc. I made an educated guess on some nearby buck bedding and moved toward it. After busting the swamp for a bit and finding a micro-island i located a couple of beds / rubs / tracks / droppings from the age class of bucks that made the rubs in the open area.

I ran out of time and had to head back to the truck. It had been a productive afternoon scout on the heavy pressure public, anytime I find buck beds it was worth the trip. However, it was unrealistic for me to expect to find sign from a 4.5 + year old buck in a single afternoon. This public land will hold that age class, without a doubt and more scouting will be needed.

Bridge

Trout
500 Club

Re: Bridge Public Scout

Unread postby Trout » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:41 am

Are you in a part of the LP with or without snow? We have quite a bit each year by the time season ends where I'm at. Sitting around 2 feet or so right now and most of our deer have migrated to cedar swamps or heavy conifers. I feel like any intel gained scouting end of December thru snow melting isn't going to help me in October or November, but the fall sign exposed by the snow is what I need to wait for. Am I on the right track or should I be out there now?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:44 am

Good post!! I agree a 4.5 is hard to find on public land. Even on good private. 2-3 year olds are realistic. I’ve shot 3 in the last 2 years on public
Skuhzz

Unread postby Skuhzz » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:08 am

Enjoyed reading this, sounds like you found a good spot. Will you go back there again before next season starts?
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:38 am

Trout wrote:Are you in a part of the LP with or without snow? We have quite a bit each year by the time season ends where I'm at. Sitting around 2 feet or so right now and most of our deer have migrated to cedar swamps or heavy conifers. I feel like any intel gained scouting end of December thru snow melting isn't going to help me in October or November, but the fall sign exposed by the snow is what I need to wait for. Am I on the right track or should I be out there now?

This area only had a little snow with mostly bare ground until the other day. You are right for the most part especially with the deer moved into thermal cover. If you have access to the cedar swamps there will be some mature buck bedding areas that are used most of the year by local bucks.

The cedar swamps have what I refer to as "local" bucks and also what I call "transient" bucks. There are always local bucks that spend most of their lives in and around cedar swamps. If you are able to locate primary bedding in these areas they will be used by bucks most of the year... rubs in the beds oftentimes, deeply dented and heavily used beds, etc.

Rest assured that there is nothing easy about locating this type of bedding, but it is out there.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:42 am

Hawthorne wrote:Good post!! I agree a 4.5 is hard to find on public land. Even on good private. 2-3 year olds are realistic. I’ve shot 3 in the last 2 years on public

Completely agree, in high pressure areas there just aren't that many over 4.5

Those that I find are the most reclusive bucks I've come across.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:44 am

Skuhzz wrote:Enjoyed reading this, sounds like you found a good spot. Will you go back there again before next season starts?

I have a couple of very mature bucks in a different area that are my priority to scout, but I have every intention of returning to the area this post references.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
Trout wrote:Are you in a part of the LP with or without snow? We have quite a bit each year by the time season ends where I'm at. Sitting around 2 feet or so right now and most of our deer have migrated to cedar swamps or heavy conifers. I feel like any intel gained scouting end of December thru snow melting isn't going to help me in October or November, but the fall sign exposed by the snow is what I need to wait for. Am I on the right track or should I be out there now?

This area only had a little snow with mostly bare ground until the other day. You are right for the most part especially with the deer moved into thermal cover. If you have access to the cedar swamps there will be some mature buck bedding areas that are used most of the year by local bucks.

The cedar swamps have what I refer to as "local" bucks and also what I call "transient" bucks. There are always local bucks that spend most of their lives in and around cedar swamps. If you are able to locate primary bedding in these areas they will be used by bucks most of the year... rubs in the beds oftentimes, deeply dented and heavily used beds, etc.

Rest assured that there is nothing easy about locating this type of bedding, but it is out there.

Thank you! Any tips on being able to tell the difference between local and transient beds in cedar swamps? Also between primary and non-primary?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”