Ohio public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mikehunts257

Ohio public

Unread postby Mikehunts257 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:30 am

Looking for Ohio hunters that hunt public. I live in northeastern Ohio and would greatly appreciate others experiences with surrounding areas. Ive never had great success and would like to really push myself these next coming seasons. Successful stories....successfull areas...not so successful stories or areas? Any info would help. Thank you

rfickes87
500 Club

Re: Ohio public

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:22 am

R u in the steep hills or flat land?
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Mikehunts257

Unread postby Mikehunts257 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:09 am

Mostly flat land with alot of flooded areas. Ashtabula n Trumble county are where I frequently hunt but plans to explore more hilly terrain in Southern Ohio in upcoming seasons so experience in either would help
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:02 am

I hunt the hills just south of you. Im from PA. I have hunted those areas in Ohio since the 2014 season. All public. I've hunted all different times of year. It's hard for me living 4 hours away. But early season, (the first week) and then rut (2nd week of November) have treated me well. Sounds like you're getting into this without much experience so now is the time of year to just sit back and cyber scout (unless your still muzz hunting?). Make some calls to the DNR and ask then what areas are good. Then come March go scout your areas. Looks for beds and set ups near each bed you find. Deer densities seam to be low IMO in those regions. But there are a few nice bucks to get after that keep me coming back. I've personally found big buck beds in areas with hardly any sign or rubs. That also tells me the deer density is low. I've actually put cameras on some of the beds I've found and saw a bunch of nice 2.5 and 3.5 year olds and still hardly and rubs, it's weird. I hunted a different county than i normally go this year when i got my buck and it was the same thing. Hardly any rubs. But I know of some big ones roaming the area.

Bottom line, it can be tough hunting. So knowing the bedding and having great pre scouted set ups is a must. Now is the time to get started for 2019.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:36 am

rfickes87 wrote:I hunt the hills just south of you. Im from PA. I have hunted those areas in Ohio since the 2014 season. All public. I've hunted all different times of year. It's hard for me living 4 hours away. But early season, (the first week) and then rut (2nd week of November) have treated me well. Sounds like you're getting into this without much experience so now is the time of year to just sit back and cyber scout (unless your still muzz hunting?). Make some calls to the DNR and ask then what areas are good. Then come March go scout your areas. Looks for beds and set ups near each bed you find. Deer densities seam to be low IMO in those regions. But there are a few nice bucks to get after that keep me coming back. I've personally found big buck beds in areas with hardly any sign or rubs. That also tells me the deer density is low. I've actually put cameras on some of the beds I've found and saw a bunch of nice 2.5 and 3.5 year olds and still hardly and rubs, it's weird. I hunted a different county than i normally go this year when i got my buck and it was the same thing. Hardly any rubs. But I know of some big ones roaming the area.

Bottom line, it can be tough hunting. So knowing the bedding and having great pre scouted set ups is a must. Now is the time to get started for 2019.

We bought a camp 3 years ago in SE Ohio. Your experience is the same as mine. The deer density is much higher in PA where I hunt. I still feel that my chances at a mature buck are probably better in Ohio even though I won't see many deer. For example the last 2 years I have taken a week off to hunt in the rut each year. I hunted almost the entire week both years without seeing a buck. Both times at about the end of the week, I was able to see a buck and lucky to get it on the ground.

If you are somebody that needs to see deer then in my opinion it isn't the best place to hunt as it will test your mental perseverance. I know it has mine. However I have accepted it as a challenge. Coming from farmland hunting in PA, the big woods is a different type of hunting. In PA I have always lived where I hunt, so I am observing all year around, so I knew where the deer bed and fed strictly based upon observation. Now hunting in big woods where I don't live, I needed to figure out a way to get good at scouting without that much observation.

WE have been building a cabin for the last 2 years so that has greatly restricted my scouting. It is done now so I am going to be spending alot of time scouting the next few months. Already checked out some spots over the last couple of months.

One last thing in my experience is that from the 1st of November thru the gun seasons the public ground gets alot of pressure and then again in the muzzleloader season. Early and late season I don't see that many hunters on public ground.
Mikehunts257

Unread postby Mikehunts257 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I have hunted the last 15 years or so on private so public is new to me. The private land was in the same areas so not much of a difference. A few 2 or 3 year olds here and there but mostly doe. Seems everyone shoots anything they see around these parts so bucks dont get much of a chance to mature. I do know they are here though. The 2 biggest bucks Ive seen in my life were running out of public and into state nature preserve on opening gun days.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:40 am

I live in north eastern ohio. I hunt jefferson and columbiana Counties and looking to head to southern ohio sometime for possibly some gun hunting. My goal every year is to get on to big mature deer and hopefully with some luck put one down.
I hunt the big hills of jefferson county on private and public. The woods can change alot from one piece to another. The trick is scouting and more scouting and having multiple properties and places to go. Let's just face it sometimes there not where we want them to be so we have to find them.
I have a pretty good system that works, works at getting me on to the big boys that is, putting them down is a different story. I have harvested two mature bucks, multiple younger bucks, and lots of does. There are tricks to these properties and takes time to learn them.
If you are interested in some scouting this spring hit me up.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
the__morg
Facebook: Liam

Unread postby the__morg » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:12 am

I've hunted south eastern Ohio for the past 3 seasons. being from out of state I relied on a weekend here and there of summer scouting and then a day or two of summer scouting to get the two bucks I killed down there. The pressure in the area of public I hunt has increased each year and this year was over the top. One of the most important things is to just go explore areas and if you find something that catches your eye just make a note. Ive had good luck hunting in between bedding in cruising areas. One thing I would say is to find a spot the someone may look at and write off or not have the ambition to go. I cross a creek to get to my spot and years before I would find no human side on cross side. This year was a different story! Wish the best of luck to you, I hope to see more about this as the scouting season continues!
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:12 pm

I hunt public in Ohio and i agree with whats been said . Not gonna see a ton of deer, lots of pressure non residents more and more every yr, have to do your homework. Ohio is 44th out of 50 states for amount of public land we do have. 4 % of land . Add the 14 hunter per square mile we have plus the draw for our location and reputation . Depending where u go even alot of other hunting pressure squirrel hunters, coon, ect and hikers, bikers the whole 9. Success can be found but is gonna take alot of work ,persistence, and thinking outside the box. I was fortunate to kill a good buck this yr on public i posted pic in the 2018 beast buck lineups. I heard the further south like wayne national u can have less pressure.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:45 am

With the area you are in I would absorb as much information from this site as you can about hunting swamps, marshes, and river bottoms. I have hunted a couple times in your area with no success, but know there are good bucks there.

Don't be afraid to get your feet wet ;)
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:03 am

I hunt SW and SE Ohio. My experiences mirror what everybody else is saying with density and pressure. I’ve had more encounters with mature bucks this year where it’s almost impossible to hang a stand. Going to focus more next year on ground hunting.

Then again, was hunting into a crp transition zone on public yesterday that I’d hit in early October and found a 10’ tripod stand with what looked to be a good sized buck’s bottom 1/2 front leg near it (quartered out). Must’ve been from gun week. Hard to escape the pressure.

Comparing the last 3 seasons... Mobile pressure has increased and guys are using kayaks and hip waders. Spring scouting put me in the game, but without in season scouting I would have had a really dull season. Had less pressure and more action the last 2 weeks in October. Pressure has died off since Thanksgiving but the majority of mature bucks move to unpressured private ag, at least in SW Ohio. Areas with multi flora rose still hold deer for browse if you can find the unpressured pockets.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:09 am

hoyt31786 wrote: I heard the further south like wayne national u can have less pressure.

It get's hammered hard as well. That is where our camp is. From my understanding at one time it did have little pressure, but now that cat is out of the bag and it gets hit pretty hard.

It will be interesting to see if the new public land antlerless regulation that they had this year helps the deer population on public at all.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:20 am

Life long resident of Ohio. Hunted the eastern side of the state from Ashtabula to Wayne national in the SE, public and private.

I recently started hunting public again and tough in the NE.

For better deer density head to Wayne National in the South. Athens and Hocking counties are great. I prefer funnels in the rut in hill country on public and private land for bucks.

The ODNR website has a listing and maps of every Public hunting area in the state.

I live 10 Miles SE of Youngstown and also have succesfully hunted PA public.

Good luck
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:44 am

South and south eastern Ohio have started to peak my interest, but I just haven't had enough time to burn myself out in Michigan the last few years. Good luck in your search
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:48 am

OH nontypical wrote:Life long resident of Ohio. Hunted the eastern side of the state from Ashtabula to Wayne national in the SE, public and private.

I recently started hunting public again and tough in the NE.

For better deer density head to Wayne National in the South. Athens and Hocking counties are great. I prefer funnels in the rut in hill country on public and private land for bucks.

The ODNR website has a listing and maps of every Public hunting area in the state.

I live 10 Miles SE of Youngstown and also have succesfully hunted PA public.

Good luck

I hunt the Marietta Unit and it gets hit pretty hard.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”