prairie dog hunting out west on public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stickbowmafia
Facebook: donald cranmer

prairie dog hunting out west on public land

Unread postby stickbowmafia » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Headed to south dakota this summer to do some prairie dog hunting with my son. Have already requested prairie dog package from south dakota fish and game but does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I was going to start calling chamber of commerce in small towns once I get the info from sdfg but any other suggestions would be very welcome. Much appreciated!!!

Rich M
500 Club

Re: prairie dog hunting out west on public land

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:12 am

I was in WY a couple of years back for antelope and we saw a couple prairie dog towns and the biggest one was on public land. You won't mistake finding them. Cute lil buggers, big burrows and mounds.

BUT I also saw some that weren't in a big colony - you see the borrows and know they are around. Will see them stick their heads up just enough to see you and watch you walk by. I'd think if had we wanted to shoot some and went prone it would have been easier.

Don't put a lot of pressure on yourself - go to have fun and not kill "1,000". You WILL find some and have a great time. Chamber of Commerce should be able to hook you up with some good information.

You should be able to shoot them from well less than 100 yards out to whatever ranges you want to sling bullets.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: prairie dog hunting out west on public land

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:18 am

I wouldn’t rule out private land. Most farmers and land owners hate them and it could be a vehicle to get in on some private land deer hunting.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”