stolen camera

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tuff4x4

stolen camera

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Well I am pretty bummed.. Had camera soaking since march, went to get camera and not there..

Part of me is really mad at the hunter for taking the camera and part is really mad at me for not hiding it well enough.

It is an awsome spot, couple of rubs in a very secure bedding spot. Really hard to hunt due to the wind which tends to find its way to the bedding arera. I did notice a reflective tack about 30 yards from it where I believe a hunter was setting up.

Would you guys give up on it because of the other hunter or try to hunt it based off the other hunter??
I have found another bed on the next point over which shares some of the same trails but it does not appear to be used as much and with a slightly different, and less likely wind. Thoughts??

Jackson Marsh

Re: stolen camera

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:41 pm

If the hunter is in there frequently it's probably not going to be good. I'd scout around and see if the bucks using the area moved out or just made a small move to an adjacent area. If you have a lot of other bedding areas to hunt, I would probably move on. If it's a great big buck area I would try to figure it out and hunt the area.

Bummer about the camera. I hate thieves.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:18 am

If a hunter is in that area enough to notice the camera they most likely are hunting it heavily. More then likely that spot will have increased future activity since that hunter will come back looking for another camera. The Spot most likely will have reduced buck sign in future years from previous pressure.

I've had a few cams stolen over the years it is frustrating.
I started putting mine 1 stick up in tree to where a human can't reach without standing on something.

Their used to be someone on the beast who sold amazing looking self made stumps to hide cameras in.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:37 am

Same thing happened to me Friday. Really stinks!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:57 am

I've hunted several areas that others have found and moved in on. Sometimes they get burned out until the hunter leaves and others the deer end up using the bedding area and adjust the travel routes. It's worth post season scouting to check if they are still using the area via different routes. Either way I'd check it every year because once that hunter stops seeing stuff he's going to move and after a couple years it will prob be back to how you originally found it. I had a spot like that this year and the hunter stopped hunting it this year however the deer were still in the area just using different entrance and exit routes.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:38 am

I hate thieves and guys that just have no respect for the rules.

Years back I had a camera stolen in a prime area. Pretty surprised because it was in some nasty stuff with deep water. The guy must have liked the bucks on the memory card because he set up an illegal stand right there. I didn’t even notice the stand 20 yards away when I set up in the dark one morning until it was daylight. Once I saw the stand I said screw it I’m not moving for an illegal stand. I planned on doing an all day sit since it was November 1st so decided to ride it out. I had a good morning and saw some good bucks. Shortly after lunch I heard something coming and of course it was the hunter headed to his stand. He saw me and started flailing his arms while pointing at his stand upset that I set up there. Figured I would have some fun with him. I motioned him over and asked if it was his stand and he said it was. Told him I set up in the dark and didn’t notice it till daylight. Also mentioned that a warden was just out here investigating a stolen camera and also trying to catch the guy with the illegal stand. Suddenly he changed his mind and said “oh I’m sorry that’s not my stand. Mine is down this way” while pointing in the opposite direction.He then turned around and walked out the way he came. :roll:

Funny part of the story is I never actually talked to a warden. Just wanted to scare the crap out of him. It worked because a few days later his stand and screw in steps were gone. Never seen the guy around there since. I know he stole my camera but couldn’t prove it. Felt good to scare him away thinking the warden was watching for him.

Oh yeah......after all that commotion that day I ended up seeing 5 bucks over 130” during my all day sit. One of my best days on stand. 8-)
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Dewey wrote:I hate thieves and guys that just have no respect for the rules.

Years back I had a camera stolen in a prime area. Pretty surprised because it was in some nasty stuff with deep water. The guy must have liked the bucks on the memory card because he set up an illegal stand right there. I didn’t even notice the stand 20 yards away when I set up in the dark one morning until it was daylight. Once I saw the stand I said screw it I’m not moving for an illegal stand. I planned on doing an all day sit since it was November 1st so decided to ride it out. I had a good morning and saw some good bucks. Shortly after lunch I heard something coming and of course it was the hunter headed to his stand. He saw me and started flailing his arms while pointing at his stand upset that I set up there. Figured I would have some fun with him. I motioned him over and asked if it was his stand and he said it was. Told him I set up in the dark and didn’t notice it till daylight. Also mentioned that a warden was just out here investigating a stolen camera and also trying to catch the guy with the illegal stand. Suddenly he changed his mind and said “oh I’m sorry that’s not my stand. Mine is down this way” while pointing in the opposite direction.He then turned around and walked out the way he came. :roll:

Funny part of the story is I never actually talked to a warden. Just wanted to scare the crap out of him. It worked because a few days later his stand and screw in steps were gone. Never seen the guy around there since. I know he stole my camera but couldn’t prove it. Felt good to scare him away thinking the warden was watching for him.

Oh yeah......after all that commotion that day I ended up seeing 5 bucks over 130” during my all day sit. One of my best days on stand. 8-)

I can’t stand a thief either. That’s great lol.

You shoulda took his stand down when you were done hunting and hid it in the area, left a note saying you’d do a trade for your cam back for the location of his stand :D .
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 pm

Dewey wrote:I hate thieves and guys that just have no respect for the rules.

Haha, that is awesome! Great idea for all of us who have had cams stolen.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:31 am

That is a bummer.

Question for you guys.... I always put my cams one stick high and always lock them with a cable lock. On your thefts, were your cameras locked and the locks cut or did you not have them locked ? Just curious if my efforts of locking are helping and/or how easy it would be to cut the cables....
tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:12 pm

I have been trying to find a certain buck for 2 years now.. I kinda stumbled on to him when I was working in the area, found 4 massive rubs in an area and have been putting cameras out on different points. Thing is if I could just see that card from my camera, he could keep the camera.. :lol:

That day I put up the camera I had my sticks with me but I was unable to get the camera to look down enough. It was my fault, I now put up my cameras 1-2 sticks high, no ifs ands or buts. Never used a lock prolly a good idea. I have been trying to go after more mature bucks, 5 yrs and older, but of course the hard part is just finding them. So I have been using cameras on public more the past 3 years. Still trying to decide if they are a good thing or causing me more problems.

Dewey that is hilarious, I thought about leaving a note asking for my camera back with a bottle of coyote urine in it but I am just not sure why other hunters have to be that way. If that guy shoots it I would be happy for him. Not MY deer or MY land. I have tried to talk to other guys that I see and everyone acts like it is a contest agains me not the deer.
Buckshot1822

Unread postby Buckshot1822 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:01 am

I have just been buying the cheap tasco cams at walmart for on public ground. With a sd card and batteries, I only have about 40 bucks in each setup, that wont kill me if I lose them. And they are actually pretty decent if you set them up right.
bh bowhunter

Unread postby bh bowhunter » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:04 am

The only cam I've had stolen so far was a cheap piece of crap that I never liked anyway. It was not secured and was somewhat close to a parking area. All my other cams are secured with a lite chain and small lock.
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:46 am

Last year I had a camera with a cable lock stolen. The low life drove a snowmobile directly on my tracks till he found it and used something to cut the cable. They also took my stand that had a cable lock as well. They came in late at night after I'd been hunting and when I showed up in the morning it was gone.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:00 am

I hate thieves and have had a few cams stolen myself.

In regards to the spot, I think if the sign is still really good, he probably is hunting it too conservatively and I bet it's still an area you can kill something at. All depends on how bad he is boogering with the bedding. I have gotten cam pics of big bucks hanging around bedding when there are multiple guys hunting almost every day 100 yds away.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:33 am

Can’t stand a low life I am going to start putting a sign on mine that says hey man I had to work very hard to buy this please don’t take
Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”