stolen camera

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Swampbuck

Re: stolen camera

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:07 am

Dewey wrote:I hate thieves and guys that just have no respect for the rules.

Years back I had a camera stolen in a prime area. Pretty surprised because it was in some nasty stuff with deep water. The guy must have liked the bucks on the memory card because he set up an illegal stand right there. I didn’t even notice the stand 20 yards away when I set up in the dark one morning until it was daylight. Once I saw the stand I said screw it I’m not moving for an illegal stand. I planned on doing an all day sit since it was November 1st so decided to ride it out. I had a good morning and saw some good bucks. Shortly after lunch I heard something coming and of course it was the hunter headed to his stand. He saw me and started flailing his arms while pointing at his stand upset that I set up there. Figured I would have some fun with him. I motioned him over and asked if it was his stand and he said it was. Told him I set up in the dark and didn’t notice it till daylight. Also mentioned that a warden was just out here investigating a stolen camera and also trying to catch the guy with the illegal stand. Suddenly he changed his mind and said “oh I’m sorry that’s not my stand. Mine is down this way” while pointing in the opposite direction.He then turned around and walked out the way he came. :roll:

Funny part of the story is I never actually talked to a warden. Just wanted to scare the crap out of him. It worked because a few days later his stand and screw in steps were gone. Never seen the guy around there since. I know he stole my camera but couldn’t prove it. Felt good to scare him away thinking the warden was watching for him.

Oh yeah......after all that commotion that day I ended up seeing 5 bucks over 130” during my all day sit. One of my best days on stand. 8-)

That's about as good of payback as it gets!!

Make It Happen
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:19 am

Print a sticker with your wildlife agency's logo and put something along the lines of "wildlife survey instrumentation, GPS monitored, do not disturb or remove"
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:22 am

seazofcheeze wrote:Print a sticker with your wildlife agency's logo and put something along the lines of "wildlife survey instrumentation, GPS monitored, do not disturb or remove"

That's a good idea!

Does everyone feel the cables really save your cameras? I hate to invest into cables too, just to have them cut. I haven't used cables, and only had one cam stolen in 5 years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:24 am

tgreeno wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:Print a sticker with your wildlife agency's logo and put something along the lines of "wildlife survey instrumentation, GPS monitored, do not disturb or remove"

That's a good idea!

Does everyone feel the cables really save your cameras? I hate to invest into cables too, just to have them cut. I haven't used cables, and only had one cam stolen in 5 years.

i used cables one year then i lost my key ring in the woods and had too cut 12 cables. i used a small cable cutter for a bicycle cable and had them cut off as fast as i could squeeze the cutters. the best thing ive ever done is put my cams 12 too 15 foot high. even if people dont steel your camera from a cable does not mean they wont mess with it ive had cards stolen cameras smashed ive had them shot you name it. two years ago i had 2 cams stolen and a tree stand. the following year i found my 2 cams and tree stand about a hundred yards from where i had it people are nuts.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:30 am

i always write in the cover cam # 15 or something around that. figure it might freak the guy out and and make him think hes going too get caught buy cam #1 threw #14
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:52 am

tuff4x4 wrote:Well I am pretty bummed.. Had camera soaking since march, went to get camera and not there..

Part of me is really mad at the hunter for taking the camera and part is really mad at me for not hiding it well enough.

It is an awsome spot, couple of rubs in a very secure bedding spot. Really hard to hunt due to the wind which tends to find its way to the bedding arera. I did notice a reflective tack about 30 yards from it where I believe a hunter was setting up.

Would you guys give up on it because of the other hunter or try to hunt it based off the other hunter??
I have found another bed on the next point over which shares some of the same trails but it does not appear to be used as much and with a slightly different, and less likely wind. Thoughts??

Would I give up on it - no... I would go to the spot the day before opening day. Drink a ton of water... Make a bunch of mock scrapes and rubs to get the thief all excited. Make sure to relieve yourself in every one. Then find his potential stand tree and drop a deuce on his access path close to the tree. Make sure to bury/hide the TP but leave the pile of goodness exposed. Mount an el-cheapo trail camera 10 feet up watching over said deuce. Make sure it's in some cover. Record video and enjoy the hilarity that will follow. Go back on off days to freshen up your mock rubs/scrapes and check your cam. That should keep the dude coming back. Randomly freshen up your deuce pile too... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So don't give up on the spot. Just recognize you're hunting a different game at that spot now... :). You worked hard for that trail cam. You put in time on the job. I would make some effort to reclaim at least that much time from the thief. But I hold a grudge so.... Maybe you're a better person than I am.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:01 am

tuff4x4 wrote:Well I am pretty bummed.. Had camera soaking since march, went to get camera and not there..

Part of me is really mad at the hunter for taking the camera and part is really mad at me for not hiding it well enough.

It is an awsome spot, couple of rubs in a very secure bedding spot. Really hard to hunt due to the wind which tends to find its way to the bedding arera. I did notice a reflective tack about 30 yards from it where I believe a hunter was setting up.

Would you guys give up on it because of the other hunter or try to hunt it based off the other hunter??
I have found another bed on the next point over which shares some of the same trails but it does not appear to be used as much and with a slightly different, and less likely wind. Thoughts??

I wouldn't worry much about it, if he is not there hardly ever it wont matter, if he is then more than likely the other spot you found will probably turn on and be the better option anyway.
Make It Happen
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:06 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:
tuff4x4 wrote:W
So don't give up on the spot. Just recognize you're hunting a different game at that spot now... :). You worked hard for that trail cam. You put in time on the job. I would make some effort to reclaim at least that much time from the thief. But I hold a grudge so.... Maybe you're a better person than I am.

Lol, I've thought about that kinda stuff too but realistically all it does is take up more of your time wasted on wasting his time. Probably way more of an expense than the camera lol.

I like Dewey's approach, hunt anyway and outfox the thief. That's a win there :dance:
Make It Happen
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:45 am

ghoasthunter wrote:

i always write in the cover cam # 15 or something around that. figure it might freak the guy out and and make him think hes going too get caught buy cam #1 threw #14

I put a note in one of mine saying.......”Congratulations, you were able to steal my camera.....but....did you find the rest that likely caught a really good picture of you? I would suggest you leave this camera where you found it or theft charges will be pressed against you.”
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:58 am

Buy a couple dollar store battery powered alarm clocks. Put them a few sticks up and tape them to a branch. After hearing news radio or Taylor swift coming from different directions they will jump ship.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:07 am

Start using Moultrie cameras. The thieves will get so aggravated by their poor performance they'll put them back. About 1000 pictures of nothing on the memory stick would do that...
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:49 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:Start using Moultrie cameras. The thieves will get so aggravated by their poor performance they'll put them back. About 1000 pictures of nothing on the memory stick would do that...

lol i have like 10 of them they need too be on a super solid tree so they dont move in the wind. you also need them out of where sun casts threw the trees wind blows branches and always facing north then they work great lol. one good thing is they will keep taking pics for a year even with ghoast photos lol just expect the seals too fail and for some reason the lenses always attract spiders.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:23 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:Start using Moultrie cameras. The thieves will get so aggravated by their poor performance they'll put them back. About 1000 pictures of nothing on the memory stick would do that...

lol i have like 10 of them they need too be on a super solid tree so they dont move in the wind. you also need them out of where sun casts threw the trees wind blows branches and always facing north then they work great lol. one good thing is they will keep taking pics for a year even with ghoast photos lol just expect the seals too fail and for some reason the lenses always attract spiders.

So, in other words, they're great as long as you don't put them outside... :lol:
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:35 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

So, in other words, they're great as long as you don't put them outside... :lol:

yea pretty much but honestly im running some of the old ones still and they are like ten years old now and take pics. they are duct tape and silicone masterpieces. just dont ever buy wild game i picked up 2 couple years back and they grenaded about 2 weeks in. i bought there pic viewer this year and that blew before it left my kitchen table. the stealth cams work but they get white out with night pics. quick fix for that was some window tint over the led bulbs. my best one right now is a browning whick has same interface as multree.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:32 am

I have a couple Browning Strike Force cams, a couple Muddy ProCam 20s, a Browning Dark Ops 940, 3 Moultrie A5s, and a number of Apeman H68s which are surprisingly good performers for their price points. I also have an Apeman H55 (no glow flash) and a Campark which is basically the exact same Chinese made camera as the Apeman H68.

The Apeman cams are actually pretty good considering what they cost. They have a nice wide angle of view at the expense of a bit of fish eye. But the Brownings take the highest quality pics and are the most reliable - not many pics of nothing. The metal on the clips on the Apeman rust too. They should have been galvanized or something...

I like the Brownings the most but I can buy 2 Apemans for the price of one Browning...

I had a couple of Bushnells as well but they all died... Surprisingly the only cameras/brand that has ever failed on me so far. I may not like using the A5s but they still work at least...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”