Public Land Late Season Tactics

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckeye Bowhunter

Public Land Late Season Tactics

Unread postby Buckeye Bowhunter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 pm

So I'm pretty new to Beast style hunting. Set a goal to taking a deer off public land this season. Found a marsh/river area that didn't get a ton of pressure in early season. Passed a couple young bucks before the rut, then wasn't able to get in there during prime time. Went in there there one day towards the end of the 1st gun season, but brought chest waders to cross the river. Saw 3-4 times the sign over there and not a single thread of orange. Saw some big tracks and came across a couple possible buck beds along transition areas. Both were on points protected on at least 2 sides by water (open marsh areas). Question is, what's the best way to hunt these spots? No ag fields anywhere close, pretty much a huge block of timber with river and beaver swamps throughout. I'm just looking at sneaking in close in a favorable wind and hoping they're not completely nocturnal.

crossfitcarpenter

Re: Public Land Late Season Tactics

Unread postby crossfitcarpenter » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Buckeye Bowhunter wrote:So I'm pretty new to Beast style hunting. Set a goal to taking a deer off public land this season. Found a marsh/river area that didn't get a ton of pressure in early season. Passed a couple young bucks before the rut, then wasn't able to get in there during prime time. Went in there there one day towards the end of the 1st gun season, but brought chest waders to cross the river. Saw 3-4 times the sign over there and not a single thread of orange. Saw some big tracks and came across a couple possible buck beds along transition areas. Both were on points protected on at least 2 sides by water (open marsh areas). Question is, what's the best way to hunt these spots? No ag fields anywhere close, pretty much a huge block of timber with river and beaver swamps throughout. I'm just looking at sneaking in close in a favorable wind and hoping they're not completely nocturnal.

I would hunt a cross wind at the entry to the point.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:29 pm

I would float the river and scout the areas. Look for trails crossing the river go to town.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:31 am

ihookem wrote:I would float the river and scout the areas. Look for trails crossing the river go to town.

That’s a great way to get into deer on new properties.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”