Poll: Is it "bad form" to post the name of public land destinations on the internet?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Is it "bad form" to post the name of public land destinations?

Bad form
70%
Not bad form
8%
Don't care
22%

Total votes: 168
sureshotscott
500 Club

Poll: Is it "bad form" to post the name of public land destinations on the internet?

Unread postby sureshotscott » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm of the opinion that every time you post the name of a public land destination on a forum like Hunting Beast or SaddleHunter, it's kind of like shooting yourself in the foot. It's not really forum members that I'm concerned about. It's guys using Google to research the place by name; they will be more motivated to hunt there just by reading about it. A few public spots I hunt, I see the name posted and just shake my head. But maybe I'm completely wrong. What do you think?

Jackson Marsh

Re: Poll: Is it "bad form" to post the name of public land destinations on the internet?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:48 pm

When I joined I stupidly named myself after the public property I exclusively hunt :lol: :lol:

I mentioned a few areas when I first started posting years ago.....I don't do that anymore.
sureshotscott
500 Club

Re: Poll: Is it "bad form" to post the name of public land destinations on the internet?

Unread postby sureshotscott » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:When I joined I stupidly named myself after the public property I exclusively hunt :lol: :lol:

I mentioned a few areas when I first started posting years ago.....I don't do that anymore.

LOL ya I'd be asking for a username change :lol:

Here is a thread that got me thinking about asking this question. This fella may have more company next year.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/inde ... -ga.10536/
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:When I joined I stupidly named myself after the public property I exclusively hunt :lol: :lol:

:lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:00 pm

:lol:

I hunt the Dewey Marsh in Portage County. :liar:

Actually had somebody ask me once if that’s where I hunt. Yep......that’s it. :lol:

Seriously though I see guys post about particular public properties and it makes me cringe. So many lurkers out there in internet land just looking for free handouts. Keep that stuff in private messages. I have contacted numerous guys that have posted maps with GPS coordinates on them. Some are just clueless how much trouble they are creating for themselves.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:05 pm

I think it’s bad form. A kid shot a 165” buck on public in Michigan. He told the county and name of the public land on Facebook. I see it quite often on the Internet. Another guy on another forum shot a big buck that was already wounded to see if any of the members wounded him. He gave the name of the public land and the road he shot it off of. Thats just a couple of many
Last edited by Hawthorne on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:05 pm

People at farm always ask me where I hunting before I go out. I say "in da woods"
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Scott/IL

Unread postby Scott/IL » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:10 pm

The first thing I do when researching an out of state hunt, is punch it into Google and see what shows up. Elk, muleys, whitetails....it’s all the same. Others in my shoes do the same thing. Generally once a spot gets a little loose lipped about, it’s pretty easy to just think “Hmmm that spot sounds nice” to the common passerby.

I’ve found over the years that all info on spots, areas, or location references are best kept to private messages.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Most of the public I hunt is 10000 plus acres even if I post the name there's over a hundred beast spots in alot of wmas I hunt. So I don't really care if people know the public I have hunted they most likely would not setup in the same area.

If I were hunting small wmas I would not list names.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:49 pm

I've been pretty vocal about this on the forum. Posting names and coordinates and such. Not a fan...

How would you feel if someone posted your property and a couple thousand beasts picked it apart and offered up your honey holes you worked so hard for? :think: :think:

Also saw a post on Facebook. Guy posts his buck and one comment was "Did you kill him on the public off such and such a road?" The OP said no but you can but your hind end that property got swarmed. It was during gun season too.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:28 pm

I don't know if I'd call it bad form, but it certainly isn't very smart unless you want company....way too many lurkers out there.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Not advisable, that's for sure. Loose lips sink ships....I rarely leave my place and don't tell anybody my business, and still have outfitters, trespassers and killers, calling themselves hunters, lined along the fences of my small property. But I am fairly well known around the area, so...it comes with the territory whether I like it or not. That is the reason my public land vehicle has hippie stickers and out of state tags. :shock:
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:18 pm

I personally don't care. But with that said I'm not posting any of the public land I hunt. But if you want to go ahead
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:22 pm

I personally don't care. But with that said I'm not posting any of the public land I hunt. But if you want to go ahead
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:24 am

General answer, yes.

Some areas just get a lot if mentions by nature. Land between the lakes is one that pops into my head; I see guys talk about all the time on the web. Public tracts close to urban areas seem to draw a bunch of jabroni chatter also.

When I cyber scout, I always do some googling, goal being to see as few mentions as possible.

Ok, so the Youtubers are kinda the elephant in the room when it comes to these discussions. I knew THP would eventually hit close to home, and there they are in my OH spot this year!

It's obvious to anyone remotely familiar with the area where they are. Then add in that numerous people start discussing the area in the comments. Don't get me wrong, I speak very highly of the THP guys. I've watched most episodes of the deer tour. But this is the one definite majorndownside of what their doing in my opinion. Don't think for a second there won't be dozens of copycat wannabes in there next year. And the last 15 years pressure in this area has already grown tremendously. It's just frustrsting but I guess that's part of hunting public land.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”