Poll: Is it "bad form" to post the name of public land destinations on the internet?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Is it "bad form" to post the name of public land destinations?

Bad form
70%
Not bad form
8%
Don't care
22%

Total votes: 168
crossfitcarpenter

Re: Poll: Is it "bad form" to post the name of public land destinations on the internet?

Unread postby crossfitcarpenter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 am

I think people should always post the general area unless it’s small. I hunt in Davy Crockett National Forest for the most part which is a highly fragmented 30000 acres. I want to encourage people to use the forest becuase it belongs to all of us. Now if I were hunting in one of the WMA within the forest I would not give that detail not becuase I don’t want people hunting there but becuase a big influx of people will give people a bad hunting experience becuase the deer will be pressured out of the area. We all keep our scouting results close to the vest but we can’t slip into a complete lack of promoting public land hunting becuase we will no longer have the privilege. We are an extreme minority in this country and the rich will always be able to hunt and don’t particularly care if anyone else is able to.

gunner24

Re: Poll: Is it "bad form" to post the name of public land destinations on the internet?

Unread postby gunner24 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:55 am

I would have to agree with the guy that mentioned hunting public land is the new "cool" thing to do. I purposely bought a house in an area that has lots of public land tracks within 20 minutes driving distance. several different counties and and area I'm familiar with. I would have to say within the last 5 years I have noticed more trucks/cars in the parking lots in general observation. I know by hunting license numbers, we are losing hunters, but have to say I have seen an uptick in the areas I hunt. Me personally, will not be posting anything about where I hunt or areas, or even pictures for that matter. I work hard and have grinded over the years for that knowledge. I can also agree with the gentleman who was talking about hunting is a time to get a away from people and having elbow room is more important that hunting an area with a bunch of other hunters that supposedly has a big buck in the area. I hunt by myself, and like to keep it that way if at all possible. I go hunting to clear the brain and see wildlife in it's true form, not human-life. I avoid human pressure by all means if possible. I have lots of areas to hunt by me, luckily. If there is another car in the lot, and I can confirm he/she is bowhunting, I'll move on to the next spot. In conclusion, I don't see any benefits from posting details about location/areas on the world wide web for everyone to see.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:52 am

i think everybody should at least post your state. when guys ask questions and tactics it can be very difficult too give good answers if you dont even know where they are in the country. instead of just a general answer you can get alot more detail on a topic and really get something out of it.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Wow totally shocked at the poll numbers.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Doublejake
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=645026746

Unread postby Doublejake » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:When I joined I stupidly named myself after the public property I exclusively hunt :lol: :lol:

I mentioned a few areas when I first started posting years ago.....I don't do that anymore.

That’s pretty funny lol.
Obviously all the Locals no where I typically hunt. But I’m not looking to draw anymore attention to my areas.
I had a awesome piece of Public pretty much to myself for archery. UNTIL a outdoor magazine published it as VERMONTS kept secrets for public land. I didn’t know about the article and I was mind blown when 15 guys had walked by me and my Son on Rifle opening day. I decided it was time to leave, even then guys were pulling up to the parking area and as I was leaving asked me if it was the” Blank Blank” I said yah why what’s the was going on, he said he drove 3hrs to check it out and that it was published in a Outdoor Magazine. 6 years later it Still has not recovered, a lot of people teetered off but still way to many for that small property. So Fustrating.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Doublejake wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:When I joined I stupidly named myself after the public property I exclusively hunt :lol: :lol:

I mentioned a few areas when I first started posting years ago.....I don't do that anymore.

That’s pretty funny lol.
Obviously all the Locals no where I typically hunt. But I’m not looking to draw anymore attention to my areas.
I had a awesome piece of Public pretty much to myself for archery. UNTIL a outdoor magazine published it as VERMONTS kept secrets for public land. I didn’t know about the article and I was mind blown when 15 guys had walked by me and my Son on Rifle opening day. I decided it was time to leave, even then guys were pulling up to the parking area and as I was leaving asked me if it was the” Blank Blank” I said yah why what’s the was going on, he said he drove 3hrs to check it out and that it was published in a Outdoor Magazine. 6 years later it Still has not recovered, a lot of people teetered off but still way to many for that small property. So Fustrating.

Same with lakes. So many magazines articles, fishing shows and especially sites like Lake Link have completely ruined incredible lakes. Nothing is a secret these days and everyone with a smartphone has quick and easy access to that info. Not like the old days when that stuff only traveled by word of mouth. Right now Onx Maps is the big one. I am amazed how many are utilizing that and finding all the little hidden hunting spots that nobody knew about.
Doublejake

Unread postby Doublejake » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:09 pm

Dewey wrote:
Doublejake wrote:

That’s pretty funny lol.

Same with lakes. So many magazines articles, fishing shows and especially sites like Lake Link have completely ruined incredible lakes. Nothing is a secret these days and everyone with a smartphone has quick and easy access to that info. Not like the old days when that stuff only traveled by word of mouth. Right now Onx Maps is the big one. I am amazed how many are utilizing that and finding all the little hidden hunting spots that nobody knew about.

Yah I use HuntStand and OnX lol. They are a great tool. Not only for finding new spots but for marking the maps up with useful information. When I scout I have to make sure that my phone is fully charged before I go out. I typically log all beds, rubs, food sources, transitions, Other Hunters stand locations and well traveled runways. Before I determine where I am going to do a set.
Doublejake

Unread postby Doublejake » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:13 pm

crossfitcarpenter wrote:I think people should always post the general area unless it’s small. I hunt in Davy Crockett National Forest for the most part which is a highly fragmented 30000 acres. I want to encourage people to use the forest becuase it belongs to all of us. Now if I were hunting in one of the WMA within the forest I would not give that detail not becuase I don’t want people hunting there but becuase a big influx of people will give people a bad hunting experience becuase the deer will be pressured out of the area. We all keep our scouting results close to the vest but we can’t slip into a complete lack of promoting public land hunting becuase we will no longer have the privilege. We are an extreme minority in this country and the rich will always be able to hunt and don’t particularly care if anyone else is able to.

if Inwas on a 30000 parcel I might mention it, but the largest public I hunt is 400 acres and already has a lot of guys.
knightwyrm

Unread postby knightwyrm » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Made the mistake of dragging two out (nice 8 pt and a doe) at mid-day during gun season many years ago past a bunch of guys that typically didn't get father than 150 yards from their truck. Didn't think it would be that big of deal since I was setting up about a mile back and would almost never see anyone. The next year the orange army invaded. Now I wait 'til after dark, if possible, to drag'em out so I as not advertise any other spots.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:31 pm

knightwyrm wrote:Made the mistake of dragging two out (nice 8 pt and a doe) at mid-day during gun season many years ago past a bunch of guys that typically didn't get father than 150 yards from their truck. Didn't think it would be that big of deal since I was setting up about a mile back and would almost never see anyone. The next year the orange army invaded. Now I wait 'til after dark, if possible, to drag'em out so I as not advertise any other spots.

I only ever see, or shoot spikes ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:14 am

I think it's bad form when you think of others who have invested their time and energy scouting and locating deer. It's especially bad if the public land is small.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”