Daniel Boone National Forest

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMAR85

Daniel Boone National Forest

Unread postby JMAR85 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:33 am

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any information (not looking for specifics) on Daniel Boone National Forest. I'm looking towards next year and kicking around the idea of trying something new. I've never been there and know nothing about it. If I went it would be a rut trip. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Bowstring

Re: Daniel Boone National Forest

Unread postby Bowstring » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:43 am

I'm assuming your talking about Kentucky? If so, it's big woods mountains (Eastern Kentucky). Make sure you're in shape....Have fun...
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:05 pm

My experience is timber rattlers, copperheads, poison ivy, and low deer densities. With that said, there's at least one good buck there.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:55 am

Spring turkey hunted there once. Found some areas that are typical “hills and hollars” but A lot of areas are steep almost vertical hardwood ridges . Like mentioned ...be ready for a challenge .
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:13 am

It’s national forest so will be mostly mature timber with little browse and lower deer density. Check with local usfs office or game dept for logging or other info. I cyber scouted a lot of it and called for info but could never turn up much. Game dept would never call me back and usfs is only marginally helpful
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Halonhunter6

Unread postby Halonhunter6 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:22 am

Pressure is generally low outside of gun season. Some areas are real remote some close to civilization just depends what area you looking to go. Acorns will
Be the key to killing a deer lots of old logging road and four wheeler trails for access. What area are you looking at going ? I may be able to help.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:31 am

My hunting crew of six went there in 2016 for a week.

We got 3- 8 pointers (all from the same hollow- the boys hit an area that had a hot doe)
a button & I passed on two small bucks
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:43 am

seazofcheeze wrote:My experience is timber rattlers, copperheads, poison ivy, and low deer densities. With that said, there's at least one good buck there.

Sounds like a party!!
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:18 am

Halonhunter6 wrote:Pressure is generally low outside of gun season. Some areas are real remote some close to civilization just depends what area you looking to go. Acorns will
Be the key to killing a deer lots of old logging road and four wheeler trails for access. What area are you looking at going ? I may be able to help.

To be honest I haven't really started "looking" yet. Was just kind of interested in it. Not quite sure where to start.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”