Big woods

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Djp32

Big woods

Unread postby Djp32 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:31 pm

So I feel kinda dumb asking this because I think I should know the answer but I guess the truth is I don’t. I feel like I heard dan (at least what I thought) imply that there’s a difference between big woods and hill country. I’m in sw pa and I been fooling around a little bit in the very north western tip of Maryland and it’s definitely big woods and big hill country. It’s very difficult at most times to even see deer. I was just wondering if there’s some different tactics for big woods. There’s little to no farm land around and the elevation is around 2500 to 3200 feet. All the low parts of the hill seem to be either deep drainages or creeks. There’s more flat tops than flat bottoms. It’s definitely in the mountains as far as pa is concerned. There’s even some tracts of land that seem to be more like rolling hills but all wooded and rocky. I feel like I’m spinning my wheels when it comes to finding the majority of the deer. I guess what I’m asking is am I more in hill country or should I be employing more of the big woods logic if there is suck a thing?

stash59

Re: Big woods

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Big woods is a broad term! It mainly refers to extra large expanses of land with little to no roads with few human dwellings or outbuildings. If it's hilly country, hill bedding can apply. Swampy, swamp bedding, etc, etc. Many big woods areas can have many different types of bedding if the terrain varies from marsh to hill type areas. Even farm type bedding could apply if there is an area like a big grassy meadow up against a thick woods edge.

Often these big woods areas have lower deer densities than areas with lots of agriculture mixed in. So the beds often don't stand out as well, aren't as obvious. Also big woods areas with mostly mature stands of trees. Often have very low deer densities because there just isn't enough year round food sources. Even though those trees are oaks or other mast trees deer utilize in the fall.

Find the small pockets that holds a variety of different year long deer foods. Which is often the thicker areas. And you'll find the largest concentrations of deer.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:33 pm

Focus on hill bedding and you should be fine, I hunt bigwoods without a lot of elevation but when I do find those smaller hills they sure like to bed on them just like in hill country. Heck even a small rise near a swamp is used as bedding often and that might only be a 5 to 20 foot change in elevation. Scout like mad and you will find them.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:31 am

Big woods mountains and hill country are very different. But hill country bedding still applies as a rule of thumb. Concentrate on upper 1/3 military crest and points for bedding. I see as much windward as leeward bedding in big woods mountains but either one will usually be upper 1/3 military crest wind and cover to back. Agree with previous comments also.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”