Hot Sign

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

IllinoisLawman

Hot Sign

Unread postby IllinoisLawman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Can someone throw me a bone and explain the definition of “Hot Sign”?

And once you find it, what does it tell you about stand placement?

Thank you.

Ashreve93

Re: Hot Sign

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:45 am

This time of year, fresh scrapes and rubs made within 24-48 hours.
If you know of a nearby bedding, position yourself between the fresh sign and bedding as long as wind permits. If the sign is next to bedding, sit downwind of the sign.

Fresh sign is one of the best indications of a buck being in a certain area at that time. Learn how to tell how recent sign was made and youll find yourself having a lot more opportunities.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Fresh tracks are one of the best indicators for me. Or fresh poop. Feed sign in oaks. I hardly find that but if you do you better be hunting it right now. It’ll look like the ground is just littered with scrapes. Rubs and scrapes are harder to tell if they’re fresh, especially rubs. For scrapes I look at the dirt around and for tracks in it. Wet looking dirt is fresh.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:37 pm

Walked into a new spot for me this week. I got to where I suspected a buck to be and immediately saw a freshly worked scrape and a fresh rub...no leaves in the scrape fresh poop and the dirt was still damp. The rub had wood shavings on top of the fallen leaves so I knew it was fresh also.

I planned on setting up real close but I looked up and saw the buck that made the sign working another scrape 30 yards away and he wasn’t the caliber of buck I was looking for...freshest sign I’ve ever came upon literally mAde minutes before I got there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”