Bedding area in relation to firearm noise

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Abock33

Bedding area in relation to firearm noise

Unread postby Abock33 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:40 am

So to start off I'm very new to diy hunting. I used to go with my uncles and they would pick the stand locations for me. This is my first full season on strictly public land by myself.

That said I have a plot of land that is 1000 acres of hardwoods but most of it can marked off as unhuntible due to high traffic from other hunters and small game areas. There is a spot that might be promising but it is within 800 yards of an active trap range as well as 600 yards from a target range. Is something like this even worth looking at or is it a waste of time to try to put boots on the ground and hunt it. If the ranges are both heavily used is this going to be considered a threat to the bucks. It's an archery only wma but it does allow black powder in December for a week. I'm running out of spots in this plot that dont have 3- 4 stands in a 60 yard radius.

Educate me.

Redman232

Re: Bedding area in relation to firearm noise

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:52 am

Deer get used to and tolerate the gun fire.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:54 am

I personally would not be deterred from that spot. The deer adapt pretty quickly, and if the trap range is used daily, then they will get used to the noise. The key is that there is some type of an area that gives them secure cover, without human intrusion (smell, people walking around bumping them from their beds). I've done some urban hunting, and you'd be surprised how much noise there is, even midweek, and how the deer don't seem to mind over time.
Abock33

Unread postby Abock33 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:06 am

It's mostly old hardwoods with tons of thicket. There's a creek to the northeast. The north is all restricted due to the trap range. Never thought about the similarity to urban deer. Those guys aren't worried about anything.

Thanks.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:13 am

Thicket you say? 8-) Hunt it
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:48 am

The biggest buck ever killed off of a heavily hunted public piece close to me, was killed directly behind the firearms range. If the sign is up in there, I would be too.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:42 am

One of my best spots is a lot closer to a range than that. The range is just up the hill from me. The deer don't care. Only issue is it gets slightly annoying. Good part is the range isn't heavily used and clay shooting usually starts after dark there.
Ozark goat hunter

Unread postby Ozark goat hunter » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:16 am

There was a collared deer study done on a public piece of property I hunt. Several mature bucks were captured and fitted with radio collars, and released. One of them immediately headed to a secluded area right next to a firing range.
After 2 weeks the radio data showed that buck had never moved from that small patch of overgrowth.
The head biologist assumed someone at the range had shot and poached the deer and left the collar there.
Went to retrieve it and that buck jumped right up and ran out of there.
Biologist noted that the spot had plenty of vegetation to browse on and excellent cover so that deer just stayed put and could care less about the commotion at the range.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 pm

Hunted a swamp Sunday that buts up to a private pheasant farm. My buddy saw 3 cruisers and said he could occasionally see and feel shot from the pheasant hunters. My bro and I saw 3 does get up from bedding less than 100 yards from the pheasant fields.

Key here was pressure. This area probably has the least amount of pressure within the square mile. Granted it’s right on the fringes of heavy pressure but that’s what makes it good.
Pse

Unread postby Pse » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:54 am

If the deer perceive the gun fire as non threatening they bed surprisingly close, on one of the areas I used to shoot fallow deer they would bed in a wood used for commercial sporting clay pigeon shooting. They would bed in thick bracken and brambles often within 200 yds of the stands , especially as the season went on. I think they learnt it was safe there.
Whitetail are no different, one of the neighbours regularly target practice next to a friends property that I get to hunt , it seems to bother me more than the deer , I've had deer come out within minutes of the shooting stopping
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:56 pm

One of my best spots is so close to an Interstate highway I can see their faces. It is loud but there is brush, water and noone seems to go there cause of highway noise.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:21 am

deer dont mind a bit just put a tree between you and the shooting and bring a orange hat just in case 8-)
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”