AM Hunts vs PM Hunts

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

walksntheshadows64

AM Hunts vs PM Hunts

Unread postby walksntheshadows64 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:26 pm

What do you prefer and why?
I am more of an AM hunter but starting to think the PM might be a better approach on Public here. Not seeing vey many in the mornings.

hunter10
500 Club

Re: AM Hunts vs PM Hunts

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:31 pm

Hunt them both... both have pros and cons but either one can put you in position to shoot one. I don’t think one is better than the other. I’ve had better luck in the mornings however
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Certainly depends on the situation....but most of us on here spend a lot of time hunting mature buck beds in pressured areas and primarily in the evening.

Gotten to the point for me until late October, I won't bother getting out of bed to hunt mornings. I don't see the bucks I'm looking for in the morning...so I sleep in.

The amount of flak I caught this year was kinda funny. I slept in opening day and had no intentions of getting up. Woke up when I woke up. Packed my gear in the truck...drove to the public...hiked into the bedding area and setup. 2 hours later I was tagging my buck. Doesn't always work that easily....but, in a perfect world, that's how mature buck bed hunting goes. It was a pretty text book hunt. I snuck in within 100yds of bedding. I was at the first food source they'd come to...I was pretty deep in and they feel comfortable coming out before dark...the moon phase was right for movement before dark...the wind was right to give the buck a sense of security to leave his bed and come to the white oaks in the daylight.

That particular spot, they hook out of the bedding and follow the edge of the swamp out to the fields where they spend the night...long before daylight they have a trail leading directly back to bedding...right through the swamp. It'd be nearly impossible to setup on them in the morning.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:18 pm

AM up high with rising thermal. PM down lower with falling thermal.

I much prefer hunting up high so I prefer mornings and it is when I see most deer. I can almost set my watch to see deer at 9 am hunting up high near bedding no matter where I am hunting.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:46 am

If I'm picking and choosing..Early season (Sept. 15th til end of October) I usually, only hunt evenings. I will hunt a morning, if the daily high is 10* lower than the day before. Or if the nighttime low is 10* or so lower than the night previous, regardless of daytime temps. I will hunt some mornings when it is unseasonably hot during the day. Deer seem to be on their feet a little longer on those cooler mornings. Come end of October til mid November I hunt all day ever chance I get. I have my best luck in late morning or early afternoon during the rut. After Thanksgiving, it is back to mostly hunting evenings til season ends on January 15th. Truth be told, I try to hunt ever time I get the chance.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 am

My best hunting has been mornings.

I did intentionally hunt a buck bedding area one evening and chose the larger of the 2 that came out just before dark. That's the only time so far.
Steelhead125
Facebook: Bruce Kozielec

Unread postby Steelhead125 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:25 am

I have always had my best luck in the evening.
Public Land Hunter
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:21 am

I see more deer in the AM. I've seen the biggest deer I've ever seen in the evening however. So I guess it depends on your goals. Does for me anyway.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”