Indiana Public Land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AJB

Indiana Public Land

Unread postby AJB » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:38 am

Me and a buddy are planning on doing an early season out of state hunt next year on public land. Planning a trip to do some spring scouting probably in March. Any fellow beasts have any good public we should check out/concentrate on? Any help would be appreciate and feel free to PM me with details. Thanks in advance!

Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Re: Indiana Public Land

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:54 pm

Never hunted there but wanted to wish you luck
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Did the same thing this year for KY and it’s been really successful. Search the beast, IN state deer forums, all online deer forums and pick one with: the least amount of mentions for the last 10 years, a high harvest rate in the public county records, terrain that suits your style, etc.

I’ve heard Shawnee Forest is good.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:59 am

Pick several good sized tracts and be prepared to bounce from one property to another, drive, move camp, walk and scout your but off.

I hunted S IN on a whim last season cause I filled my other tags when I was in the Midwest. The public property was very hit or miss. The state forests were all mature timber low density. A lot of the properties I really liked were already shut down for waterfowl season so they were not an option.

It took walking parts of 3 large properties in 2 days but I found some good stuff with lots of deer and had close sightings of several ‘nice’ bucks over the next few days. I would go back if I had more time this fall, I especially enjoyed the low cost of the tag.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:11 am

What state are you coming from?
Camper, tent, motel?
Do you mind hills, or are you trying to stay in flat country?
:violence-bowandarrow:
AJB

Unread postby AJB » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:46 am

Killtree wrote:What state are you coming from?
Camper, tent, motel?
Do you mind hills, or are you trying to stay in flat country?

We are coming from SW PA so are good with the hills but are also good with other types of terrain. Planing on camping with tents for the week.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:26 am

I live in the hills of southern Indiana in Crawford county. There is a lot of public land in this area.
You can camp almost anywhere around here unless you want the luxury of electricity, then you would have to go to a modern campground.
Mapquest my hometown of Sulphur Indiana. If you decide you would like to come here, let me know when and I will give you a tour and point you in the right direction.
:violence-bowandarrow:
AJB

Unread postby AJB » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:40 am

Killtree wrote:I live in the hills of southern Indiana in Crawford county. There is a lot of public land in this area.
You can camp almost anywhere around here unless you want the luxury of electricity, then you would have to go to a modern campground.
Mapquest my hometown of Sulphur Indiana. If you decide you would like to come here, let me know when and I will give you a tour and point you in the right direction.

Thanks Kill! I will check out the area. Greatly appreciate it! I will hit you up before the spring scouting trip.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:07 am

For what it's worth, I've spent the last few weekends bouncing around patoka hunting from my boat. It's been very humbling. It's a mix of mature timber and some ag. Tons of food but minimal sign.

I don't know if this is a low density area but I've had trouble finding anything promising. I'm tempted to try elsewhere but the only other areas I've seen have been vast tracts of mature timber without the ag fields.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
stinger-hunter
Facebook: /storiale

Unread postby stinger-hunter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:42 am

Hey, I'm new here but not new to hunting (19 years hunting in 5 states). Check out Jasper Pulaski Public Land. Been hunting on and off for 5 years. It is much better than surrounding
public land. It is far enough OUT from NW indiana that most hunters will stop at Willow Slough and Lasalle Fish and Wildlife.

You can travel West on 90 until you come to the middle of

Indiana (rt 35 and go south for an hour.) Excellent hunting.

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1250215

https://www.989thebear.com/seven-places ... t-indiana/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jasper-P ... 7026391817

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”