Is kayak access still overlooked?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elk yinzer
500 Club

Is kayak access still overlooked?

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:36 am

I see and hear about so many people doing it these days. Seems it is really exploding in popularity as an access tactic.

Guys that have done it awhile, what have you noticed in regards to pressure trends?

Do you just outpaddle other guys? A couple miles of unpowered backwaters going against current is certainly different than a quick crossing.

I am scouting some out of state spots and really not sure how good of an option it is. A couple publuc areas it seems so textbook I almost assume other guys have to be doing it. I hunt a lake in WV thats kinda similar, youd think it would limit pressure but it just gets hammered by boat access.

Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Autiger
500 Club

Re: Is kayak access still overlooked?

Unread postby Autiger » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:17 am

I picked up a kayak this year just for hunting. I thought it would give me an advantage in the areas that I hunt, however I am now finding that more and more guys are going the same route. The area I wanted to focus on is landlocked and when I went in the other day to where I had planned to stash the yak, there was a gut pile greeting me on the bank of the river in the marsh grass and then not long after setting up, I had someone come walking through. I also checked out some other water access areas and they seem to have been hit heavy with traffic in the last week and half of the season being open.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:21 am

My experience has been that the kayak really stands out when your on a body of water where it's the only option. Boats are easier.

I think youre onto something though. It's definitely becoming a more prevalent option. I've noticed that it still reduces numbers though, not everyone has one and not everyone is willing to paddle in and out. I've got a couple of spots that you have to paddle upstream and depending on water levels you need to port a couple of times over rapids. It weeds people out.

Another thing to keep in mind, early bow season typically brings out the more hardcore guys, consider looking at spots that may be easier to get to but overlooked because of the ease of access.
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:31 am

*edit* double post
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:16 am

I have a few spots that I think would be great to access by kayak, but I have still avoided it because my kayak is so big its a PITA to even get it in and out of the truck, and the parking from where I would need to put in is a hike. I've thought about looking into dollys for it or installing wheels.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:40 am

I think it probably depends on the number of hunters and pressure in your area. More guys stomping around might mean more willing to paddle to get away from others.
Cgshunter
Facebook: Chris Schaffier

Unread postby Cgshunter » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:35 am

I know that here in Michigan on public where I hunt I've been out in my kayak and I have ran into other hunters doing the same thing to access back sides of swamps. So now I don't even consider a spot that have a creek deep enough to float down. But that's Michigan for ya lol
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:57 am

I use a homebuild fiberglass over wood sneak boat with a copperhead surface drive and a trolling motor and then finally a 12 foot push pole to do water access to a few spots.

Down here most guys won't use a kayak they will use a normal boat or a pirouge and paddle in but they ain't going far.

Really only guys I see doing this time of access often and going more then 200 yards is guys like me that are more dedicated to their sport and craft and useing their skill set they like.

Bottom line is if I want to hunt a patch of public I'm going to use whatever legel method I can to hunt it.
lavazhole

Unread postby lavazhole » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:11 am

I've been canoing for years and love it....but if the wind is high the lake I hunt I can't get out of the coves.

How is a kayak to use in the wind and choppier water compared to a kayak?
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:39 am

It’s becoming more popular but after a hunt last weekend I posted this picture and sent a Snapchat to some deer hunting buddies.. Their reactions alone lead me to believe we are good :lol:

Like anything it all depends on how far in you’re paddling, off of what access point and how nasty it gets.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:12 am

Twenty Up wrote:Image

It’s becoming more popular but after a hunt last weekend I posted this picture and sent a Snapchat to some deer hunting buddies.. Their reactions alone lead me to believe we are good :lol:

Like anything it all depends on how far in you’re paddling, off of what access point and how nasty it gets.

I have the same yak. Sweet camo job on that bad boy!
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:05 pm

I hope not. I just bought a nucanoe. I can’t wait to use it!!!
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:46 pm

I believe so. Jmo
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:21 am

BradC36 wrote:I have a few spots that I think would be great to access by kayak, but I have still avoided it because my kayak is so big its a PITA to even get it in and out of the truck, and the parking from where I would need to put in is a hike. I've thought about looking into dollys for it or installing wheels.

If you have a deer cart you can use that. Yesterday I was in a pinch and brought my cart along to see if it would work. I just used straps and it got the job done. My kayak weighs 80lbs plus I had all of my gear, it worked flawlessly but was a little heavy though I could have done a better job of distributing the weight.
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:37 am

Twenty Up wrote:Image

Is that a delicious paddle beer I see?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”