Is kayak access still overlooked?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
hunter_mike

Re: Is kayak access still overlooked?

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:02 am

I don't paddle into much. Just my thoughts on the topic, I think it can be overlooked in some areas but not so much in other areas. If there's a well used boat landing, theres going to be some pressure from paddling in but some places (generally smaller water body) don't have any official landings. Sometimes it just takes a small creek crossing to get into an unpressured chunk of ground.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:48 am

J Gilbert wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Image

It’s becoming more popular but after a hunt last weekend I posted this picture and sent a Snapchat to some deer hunting buddies.. Their reactions alone lead me to believe we are good :lol:

Like anything it all depends on how far in you’re paddling, off of what access point and how nasty it gets.

Is that a delicious paddle beer I see?

Thankful for buddies that come extra prepared!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:34 am

Twenty Up wrote:
J Gilbert wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Image

It’s becoming more popular but after a hunt last weekend I posted this picture and sent a Snapchat to some deer hunting buddies.. Their reactions alone lead me to believe we are good :lol:

Like anything it all depends on how far in you’re paddling, off of what access point and how nasty it gets.

Is that a delicious paddle beer I see?

Thankful for buddies that come extra prepared!

There's a saying about Coors and canoes and water...
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:37 pm

matt1336 wrote:I hope not. I just bought a nucanoe. I can’t wait to use it!!!

I just bought a kayak :shifty:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:44 pm

Jonny wrote:

Um...a kayak for guys your size are called canoes. :D
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:50 pm

matt1336 wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Um...a kayak for guys your size are called canoes. :D

500lb weight capacity stand up fishing kayak 8-)

It’s was the same size as the canoe next to it at Dunham’s though :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:44 pm

Lol^^^
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 pm

I've been paddling in for over a decade for deer and waterfowl. My opinion is there are still less people willing to putz with loading and unloading a canoe or kayak than walk, but where I hunt everything is getting hit harder, which includes a modest increase in boat access.

One thing that has gotten me several times is not thinking about access off of private and thinking I'm getting away from people paddling only to realize folks are accessing off of easier private to the public. I look for this more now.

I enjoy paddling, so still seek out these spots. The other benefit, is paddling often times lets me get to spots that would be hard to hunt on the correct wind accessing on foot. I have a couple of spots that could be fairly easy walks, that I make into longer paddles because of this. To the extent practical I try and set-up accounting for the easy foot access and hunt off of what I know or believe others are doing coming from the other side.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:16 pm

I have been doing it for about ten yearsrd. I have seen a big increase in pressure the last four or five. It is no longer a guarantee to be in an area alone.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:12 pm

I went Sportspal x13 over Nucanoe due to the ability to haul 2 people and run a Honda 2.3HP motor.

Where I live, 90% use boats and access via ramp, but there are a lot of waterways w/out a ramp, that no one utilizes. I'm hopeful it is still mostly overlooked in my area for these smaller water systems.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:30 am

Autiger wrote:
BradC36 wrote:I have a few spots that I think would be great to access by kayak, but I have still avoided it because my kayak is so big its a PITA to even get it in and out of the truck, and the parking from where I would need to put in is a hike. I've thought about looking into dollys for it or installing wheels.

If you have a deer cart you can use that. Yesterday I was in a pinch and brought my cart along to see if it would work. I just used straps and it got the job done. My kayak weighs 80lbs plus I had all of my gear, it worked flawlessly but was a little heavy though I could have done a better job of distributing the weight.

Hey Autiger,
It was good meeting you out on the public the other day. First time meeting a fellow beast out in the field. When you came off the water and started speaking of buck beds, I knew you had to be a beast hahaha. Good luck this season man.
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:28 am

Country wrote:
Autiger wrote:
BradC36 wrote:I have a few spots that I think would be great to access by kayak, but I have still avoided it because my kayak is so big its a PITA to even get it in and out of the truck, and the parking from where I would need to put in is a hike. I've thought about looking into dollys for it or installing wheels.

If you have a deer cart you can use that. Yesterday I was in a pinch and brought my cart along to see if it would work. I just used straps and it got the job done. My kayak weighs 80lbs plus I had all of my gear, it worked flawlessly but was a little heavy though I could have done a better job of distributing the weight.

Hey Autiger,
It was good meeting you out on the public the other day. First time meeting a fellow beast out in the field. When you came off the water and started speaking of buck beds, I knew you had to be a beast hahaha. Good luck this season man.

It was a pleasure meeting you too Country! I’m trying to plan my evening hunt right now, good luck to you!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:25 am

Walking into easy spots is the new overlooked tactic. Gotta keep up.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:41 am

Autiger wrote:
Country wrote:
Autiger wrote:

Hey Autiger,

It was a pleasure meeting you too Country! I’m trying to plan my evening hunt right now, good luck to you!

Awesome...good luck to you. Let me know if you ever need a tracking/dragging buddy.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:11 am

PK_ wrote:Walking into easy spots is the new overlooked tactic. Gotta keep up.

You ain’t kiddin’
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”