? on putting it all together, scouting/hunt hot sign

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

? on putting it all together, scouting/hunt hot sign

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:39 am

Ok, short bit of back ground. Been following Dan since 05/06. Been here almost as long. I hunt mainly swamp/marsh country. My time is limited, so typically I just hunt. I have places scouted, know the bedding, and the general area’s pretty good. I usually see some good deer, but I just don’t finalize the deal. All along, I have been a little vague on the in-season scouting, thinking I have got to be in the tree, but agonizing over the fact that I should be getting better intel and finding the hot sign.

Fast forward to this year, and watching more of the THP videos, along with the Public Land Challenge, and it seems to be coming together better on this aspect of putting it all together.

Guys, voice your thoughts on this. I’m trying to understand/put this together in the right manner.

1) Spring scout, find beds/trees/ect……. (got this down to a T)
2) During season, have a general plan on where you are going to hunt. On the way in, you look for the hot sign, if you find it, set up on it?

Part of the issues I have, are many of the spots I have take a lot of work to get into. Nasty mid shin muck for ½-3/4 mile or more, jon boat access, ect…. Some of these spots only have one access point, no other way in. depending on how you get into these spots, you might blow out bedding, ect…. (You all have been there)

Just look for the sign, and then set up? Lots of these area’s are currently in 4-5’ of marsh grass, tags, willows. I find beds everywhere, trails as well, but try to find a track this time of year, and most of its pretty hard due to trails all over, but lots of green to hid it all.

I’m most of the way there, but just not quiet there on the in-season scouting.
Thanks for any input.

mag1
500 Club

Re: ? on putting it all together, scouting/hunt hot sign

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:54 am

Got my answer to this. This post covers it pretty good. Tegreeno hunts similar spots to mine. Good thread on this here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46266
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:53 am

You want to be on fresh sign every hunt if possible but like many of us already know that isn't doable on every hunt and we don't have time to scout all day and then hunt that night, even on weekends that isn't always possible with kids at home. Like you mentioned if you are going two miles back to a spot or have to canoe back somewhere you don't often have the time to scout it and back out if you don't find the goods. However what you can do is scout your way that two miles hunt anything fresh you see. Sometimes I just drive/hike some roads and trails to see if there are good tracks in an area then hit the bedding areas I have scouted out. Some spots I can check somewhat near bedding and have a pretty good idea that they are using that bedding area. Other times I might line up my entry routes where I can scout 3/4 bedding areas on the way in, if I don't find the goods I setup on the last spot. If a guy was retired he could scout darn near every day.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:20 pm

headgear wrote:You want to be on fresh sign every hunt if possible but like many of us already know that isn't doable on every hunt and we don't have time to scout all day and then hunt that night, even on weekends that isn't always possible with kids at home. Like you mentioned if you are going two miles back to a spot or have to canoe back somewhere you don't often have the time to scout it and back out if you don't find the goods. However what you can do is scout your way that two miles hunt anything fresh you see. Sometimes I just drive/hike some roads and trails to see if there are good tracks in an area then hit the bedding areas I have scouted out. Some spots I can check somewhat near bedding and have a pretty good idea that they are using that bedding area. Other times I might line up my entry routes where I can scout 3/4 bedding areas on the way in, if I don't find the goods I setup on the last spot. If a guy was retired he could scout darn near every day.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I’ve got limited time, ect.... good spots, just need to be better when going in. Thanks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 pm

Later in the season it gets easer because the leaves are down and the pressure is up, the bucks pile into the bedding areas we all have scouted so sometimes pounding them without scouting can work but I think if you want to be a consistent big buck slayer the in season scouting separates you from the pack. That time factor is the biggest obstacle for most even if you make hunting a priority and dump all your other hobbies.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”