New to the Forums

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TheBraveArcher

New to the Forums

Unread postby TheBraveArcher » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi all, so long story short....I picked up a compound 6 years ago, started archery then segwayed into bowhunting. My first year hitting the woods was public ground here in Minneapolis,MN. I halfway scouted early season then mid Setember I hit the woods.....Now mind you, I went from never even shooting a bow, reading all I could about hunting deer, asking hunters questions and YOUTUBE !!! I hunted like 10 times without even seeing a deer...hours of packing, setting up, sitting and packing out in the dark, nothing....but I was hooked !!! Finally, Dec 2nd this spike buck walks out, 27yrds I double lung him. I couldn't believe it. It was life changing to say the least.
Anyway, 4 deer later, my last 3 were on private land and just didn't give me the same satisfaction in my soul, the meat it tasty but I felt something was missing. It was the honest joy of the FULL pursuit, my last few deer were killed over a food plot.
So I've since ditched the compound for this wood Ben Pearson 70's ish recurve, I'm spot on out to 25yds, and bought an old cheap canoe off "The List"...in 2 days I'm paddling into this public land swampy area to scout and I'm stoked !!!! I've GPS marked a few spots I want to check out, a few funnels, look for some sign and hopefully some acorns or some other food source.
I found this forum from watching some public land hunting stuff on line and I'm glad I did. I have acquaintances and stuff who "hunt" but I have always felt I was more into it than them, some dudes I can6even get to come shoot bows with me at the range....I shoot my bow DAILY, am always mentally immersed in all things field, my wife wishes it were other wise.
As compared to some on the forum, I'm just not in you're league and I get it, but amongst the people I know, I'M A BEAST for real :D
Good luck to all who are in pursuit in 2018 !

backstraps

Re: New to the Forums

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:43 pm

Welcome to the BEAST!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:50 pm

Welcome!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:54 pm

Welcome aboard.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
RuskiBow
Facebook: Samuel Letunovskiy

Unread postby RuskiBow » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Welcome! I'm also new here. Joined up a few months ago and from the Minneapolis, Minnesota area as well! First time public land hunting so this will be a fun year for me as well!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person"

-Fred Bear
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:00 pm

Welcome!
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Welcome! You are in good company here
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Welcome to the Beast!

Good luck on your scouting trip.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Welcome
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Welcome
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:55 am

Welcome
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:02 am

welcome
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
BigStick

Unread postby BigStick » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:02 am

Welcome, it’s easy to get hooked and you won’t find a better group of people to help you along the way!
TheBraveArcher

Unread postby TheBraveArcher » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:22 am

I put the canoe in.......paddled down river about 20 min and tried to beach it, due to my inexperience at attempting to do this on a moving body of water, the nose dug in but the rear kept turning downstream.....in a flash I hopped out, thinking crap, I really don’t want to get my boots wet.....I couldn’t even touch the bottom !!!!!!
The paddle goes flying, I'm scrambling to hold onto the boat rope with one hand and repeatedly grasp at tree roots along the bank with the other hand....It was scary, I won’t front or try to sound tough about it but I remembered rule #1 in ANY emergency, DONT PANIC !!! That’s what I did, got real calm in about 2 seconds, clenched the boat rope in my teeth so I’d have 2 good hands to work with and swam best I could back to the side. Several broken roots and branches later I was able to climb up a deadfall tree back up to dry land. Whoever created the life jacket, was a genius !!! :clap:
What a feeling, it’s been so long as a 43yr old guy that I genuinely felt the thrill of sure danger, injury or death. I’m a family man so I shy away from flirting with it on purpose, but being in a situation like that, no one around to yell HELP for really shows what you’re made of when push comes to shove, I’m sure everyone one here can relate in one of their own moments......
Anyway, the paddle hung up, I was able to fish it out with a tree branch, I tied an extra paddle and all my gear to the canoe anyway because I mentally prepared to maybe flip the boat (the 5 P’s) that day,lost the hat I was wearing, not my favorite and the canoe didn’t flip and was lashed to the bank.
Did a bit of scouting in the that spot, saw a few tracks and left. I spent the next 3 hours paddling down river to the put out spot, called Uber and had the guy drive me back to my truck, then drove back to get Betty Lou....my blue canoe
To sum it all up, the river is wide, deep and has mostly high banks, lots of sunken trees and strainers in it so going in to hunt that way is not an option for me. It was a fiasco at best during broad day, there’s now way I’m attempting to do what I did under dark skies.
You scout new land to learn it, I got my crash course that day.
Going back Sunday to scout on my bike and with my drone. Take the foots paths back in and walk out to a few spots I marked on the Garmin. My chest waders will be coming along, I plan to hit some marshy areas that are well over knee deep......BEAST MODE :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”