Let's talk about being realistic for a moment

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HighNtree

Re: Let's talk about being realistic for a moment

Unread postby HighNtree » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:07 am

When I head to the woods, my number one goal is to enjoy the gift of being alive and free to enjoy the chase. I don't let myself get so obsessed with big antlers that I forget to enjoy the journey. When I look back at past seasons, some of my fondest memories are of the times that I spent learning how to hunt deer. It is amazing how little I knew about deer back then but I sure had fun and no one could ask for more!

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:09 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
last year work kept me from doing much scouting. I went into the season with the plan to scout hunt and to use a different tree as much as possible. I encounter two great bucks I never knew existed, I never fired a shot at a buck, and I took 3 does for the freezer - I had a blast and more fun than I have had in decades. And I dang near got a shot at what would have been my biggest public land buck. I am going in the same way this year with my #1 expectation to HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SEASON.

I need to echo what Dave is saying, I have seen some amazing things since switching to beast tactics, some of my best seasons were ones where I never arrowed a buck but had some amazing encounters with some really big deer. It is what you make of it, I could be pissed I never got those deer but to me it was an amazing experience either way.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:30 pm

i think i like the chase more than shooting the big old bucks. im absolutely obsessed with learning about the bucks in my areas and how and why they do what they do. i love it because there is no limit on goals you want all it takes is the drive to achieve the goal thats it. just always have fun with it and dont let it pressure you in the end your doing it for yourself.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:38 pm

I’m sitting at a fire by myself right now in the mountains of sw pa reading this this thread waiting patiently on the opener at the end of the month thinking about my goals. This is an excellent topic and I can relate to all of you, I’m addicted to learning and measure success by how I feel when in my stand seeing deer. This is my first beast season and can’t wait to get started. It feels good to hear people be realistic about deer hunting for once instead of all the lies and propaganda that seems to be the norm now days. This site is awesome!!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Djp32 wrote:I’m sitting at a fire by myself right now in the mountains of sw pa reading this this thread waiting patiently on the opener at the end of the month thinking about my goals. This is an excellent topic and I can relate to all of you, I’m addicted to learning and measure success by how I feel when in my stand seeing deer. This is my first beast season and can’t wait to get started. It feels good to hear people be realistic about deer hunting for once instead of all the lies and propaganda that seems to be the norm now days. This site is awesome!!

Wish I was away from all this concrete. Sounds like you have it going on!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
chase

Unread postby chase » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:07 am

My handle says what I am about, its the "chase" that I enjoy and I like to be able to get a big body deer. I also love to track, and cover lots of big areas, where the odds are not in your favor, but you have the outdoor world mostly to yourself, and being retired now many years, I have the time. I have been at this game now for about 40 years, you never stop learning, and I have the burn in my belly, just as hard as I did with I was in my 20's......

I have shot, and shot at some great bucks in Wisconsin, missing a true double drop tine, and others, who if the truth be told, are a treasure in my head, as much if they were on the wall........

I hunt SW Wis both private and public, and 130 size bucks are common, and I have a house and land in the western UP, where it is pretty wild, and to shoot a 200lb plus deer, is very doable, but not easy........

I like to read about all you young guys, and follow all of your tips and info, I do not know much about social media, I do not know even how to post a picture, but I enjoy looking at photos.......

My only tip, is sometimes, its now how you hunt, as much as where you hunt, so keep your expectations real, and enjoy the ride.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”