Effects of rising popularity of hunting beast/hunting public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Effects of rising popularity of hunting beast/hunting public

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:27 am

Dewey wrote:
Steelhead125 wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Some of the old timers I’ve talked with that have hunted public for decades say there’s less hunters on public now than the 80s and 90s. This style will bring some back some I believe but with the sedentary human life style nowadays I doubt will make much of an impact. Just my opinion

Hawthorn I started hunting in the mid 80’s and don’t feel like I fall in the class of “old timer”.
You’re starting to give me complex. :lol:

That’s OK. A lot of us fall in that class. :character-oldtimer:

:lol:

I resemble that remark :shock:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:42 pm

n.sampey wrote:
ihookem wrote:And another thing, I was heading to a stand last yr and caught up to a crossbow hunter. I asked where he was going to be so I could avoid him. Said he hunted this area FOR YEARS AND YEARS. Said I wanted to cross the marsh ahead. Told me he would tell me if I could cross it cause it might have too much water. Then said " Nah, you can't get across there , too much water! I didn't even break my stride. Went right in , looked back after 20' to tip my hat good by to him and he was glaring at me shaking his head no back and forth. Yet, waist deep with knee boots on but no way was i going to let him tell me I can't go there. Darn cold on that stand that night with wet boots on and sopping wet pants. Didn't see anything neither, and I am not a Beast hunter neither.

I almost just swallowed my dip :lol:

I hunted that stand last week and got a doe there. I dragged it 3/4 mi. according to Clatopo.com. Darn near killed me. A doe that was a whole 104 LBS. Dragged it to the highway, and when I got up to the sign it said emergency stopping only. What tha! So I dragged it uphill several hundred yard to a path. I figured I would get my 4wd pickup. As I get to a parking area it says Walking path only ! What tha? SO I get my sled and that helped a lot . I was not about to make this an illegal deer in any way after all this effort. Not many people will put in that effort and if they do they will likely never do it again. I'm glad it was not a big buck. The doe darn near killed me. I lost 3 lbs by the next morning to boot. I promised I will never drag another deer out like that again. If I went to the hardware store and spent 23 dollars on a block and tackle. I will hang the deer over night, walk out with my gear and come back with my Boundary Waters packs and pack the meat out right there. I think it's legal in Wisconsin if it's registered first. In Wisconsin you can only quarter it , but if it's already registered I doth see a problem at all where I cut it up. Does anyone do this ? Lots of water this year but the marsh is draining a bit.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:14 am

Last night as I was walking in, I spotted a buck and doe in the tall grass. They were in between me and where I needed to go, so I bumped toward my set hoping others buck would chase the doe. Seemed like the buck could see me but wouldn't leave the doe, but the doe may have been to short to see me. Only deer seen on stand blew and I only saw the tail. Maybe the buck or doe being alert caught me move?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”