rut observations

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Djp32

rut observations

Unread postby Djp32 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:18 am

i only been following the beast now since January so i am new to the whole style and site even though i think i heard all of the pod cast including the different ones with beast members, watched and own dans videos and read countless hours worth of different threads on here. to say the least im definitely picking up what your throwing down. through some other forums and other online resources ive heard now a few different people talk about predictable habits of mature bucks during daylight hours during the rut. so i guess what im asking is through your guys observation do you think its true that if you see a mature buck in daylight or get a daylight picture of a buck during the rut that give or take a single day he will do the same exact thing the following year? and also would that theory hold true if last year the buck was 3.5? that seams like a priceless piece of information to have on your side if it holds true. the situation i have this season is that last year i had multiple pictures of a 3.5 year old +/-125" 9 point that i didnt get to hunt because i tagged out on the first day and here in pa your only allowed 1 buck per season however there is a bear over lap in early November for archery that i hunted and seen that buck mid morning. so i already confirmed he made it with pictures of him in the same area a few weeks ago and he looks pretty good at 4.5. so any insight on this will be greatly appreciated like all the other info and peoples time on this amazing site.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: rut observations

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:38 am

Welcome!

This is a good read that should help you get an idea of the answers youre looking for.
https://www.ckwri.tamuk.edu/sites/defau ... _foley.pdf
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:56 am

They are creatures of habit.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:52 am

That’s how I have killed a bunch of pope and youngs when I lived in pa. They are creatures of habit for sure. I killed a 5.5yr old that i saw on the same ridge from 3.5-5.5yr within the same week. Same wind all 3 times I saw him. The third time I got lucky but figured he would show up in early November since he had the previous 2 seasons and it worked!
JRM KY

Unread postby JRM KY » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:02 am

Not only do I believe it happens but I have witnessed it enough to know its true. I'm sure deer dont think like this but this is how I've always thought about it in human terms. Say when you were 21 and your testosterone was high you got lucky at a bar. Year after year when your testosterone was high you repeatedly got lucky at same bar. You never got shot at or killed along the way so why not keep repeating lol.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks for all the tips, im hoping to get it done before november comes but it is nice to know there's some hope if I have to wait for rut, pa public in the mountains sure can be tough though
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Djp32 wrote:Thanks for all the tips, im hoping to get it done before november comes but it is nice to know there's some hope if I have to wait for rut, pa public in the mountains sure can be tough though

I did it for years and it made me into the hunter I am today. It’s mind boggling when you leave pa how much less pressure other states have. People don’t realize how hard it is to consistently kill 3.5yr olds and older on public in pa. Beast tactics really do work in the hull county and big woods of pa though .
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:59 pm

<DK> wrote:Welcome!

This is a good read that should help you get an idea of the answers youre looking for.
https://www.ckwri.tamuk.edu/sites/defau ... _foley.pdf

:clap: x2 definitely a good read
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:01 pm

For myself, I'm a rut Hunter so I seem to see what I want in reguards to rut information. What I mean is, if u concentrate your efforts on any particular phase or time slot your mind will find a way to convene whatever message u want to recieve. That said I luv the rut, sights, sounds and smells. I also feel the rut makes for a better looking mount if u happen to take a buck IMO.

Being a funnel Hunter I look for spurts of multiple mature buck trAffic. This is usually caused by the hot does in the area which works like clock work every year. I scout for a point of high volnurability and weather the storm. This method puts a smile on my face and makes me feel I accomplished something. Diff strokes for diff folks do what makes ya happy
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”