Got an out of state buck, now what?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Got an out of state buck, now what?

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:03 am

Its not just the state you hunt in you have to worry about. Every state you transport deer thru might have differing laws about transferring deer, or parts of deer thru there state cause of CWD laws. That's why a lot of traveling hunters are donating now. A lot of times its not listed in the reg's either cause it could be a state or AG law rather than a DNR law.

brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:20 am

De-bone and put meat in a cooler. Even a 200+ pound buck will fit in a cooler de-boned. Cape out the skull, and keep skull/hide on ice if wanting a shoulder mount. This is what I do with every deer, out of state or not. Also, as mentioned this is usually required for CWD regulations.

I can remember a trip to Ohio in some run down motel with a really tiny room and me and another guy hunting. That room was full of coolers and meat, and we had a caped out buck skull on ice in the sink all day while we were hunting. I am sure room service loved us....
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:23 am

Buckshot20 wrote:All of my good hunting is out of state. This is what I do.

Carry 120qt cooler.

Quarter the deer and put all meat in the cooler with ice. Leave the drain plug open so the meat doesn't become saturated. Do not put in bags. The bags hold heat and encourage bacteria.

When you cape the buck, skin the head out. It's really not as intimidating as it seems. Here is an example.
https://youtu.be/qTx9SVLcsXE

If it's going to be more than a week I salt the hide, if not it goes straight in the cooler.

Cut the horns off the skull and bring it home.

Pretty much what I do..
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:52 am

Good thread! Im book marking this one. PK would be good to have chime in on this one he was a out of state buck killing machine last year. He should have plenty of exsperince with it any way ( i think it was pk).
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
lightsareout

Unread postby lightsareout » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:01 am

This is what I do. I live in TN but hunt other states. As many have said you need to pay attention to the laws when bringing deer parts across state lines as these regulations are changing yearly and vary state to state due to CWD. Where you used to be able to bring quarters with bone in you may now need to debone.

My philosophy is I will not use a processor; I want to process my own harvest to insure I have top quality meat. Bring your gambrel with and hoist the deer up in a tree, pretty easy to cape and debone a deer within an hours work. I've thought about getting one of those trailer hitch hoists which would make the process much easier. Could also do this on a piece of cardboard in the bed of your truck. Another option is to make some friends in the area who may have a garage or meat pole.

For the meat, you can get a whole deboned deer into a 60qt cooler. I dump a bag or 2 of ice in the bottom and take a chunk of that wire closet rack which sits on top of the ice, this makes sure your meat does not come in contact with the melted ice. I'll pop the drain plug once or twice a day and add more ice if needed. Your meat will age nicely like this for 4-5 days if needed.

For the antler side of things. Where I'm going I have a taxidermist lined up a head of time and may have a different taxi lined up for a shoulder mount and a different guy who does euros (I am not a fan of skull caps so these are what I stick to). If doing a shoulder mount the taxidermist may even cape it out for you. Contact them before the hunt and make sure they are flexible to meet with you around your travel plans. You can always like others said cape the deer, cut the skull cap and cool the hide (separate cooler) for your local taxidermist.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:31 am

Another tip that is probably not worth mentioning

Those large coolers are great for storing bulky hunting clothes on the way out. Then have some empty duffel bags ready when you knock down old Booner.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
PaSlinger

Unread postby PaSlinger » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:13 pm

When i hunt out of state on short trips i just debone and put in cooler like others stated but i also make a trip to ohio every yr and there is quiet a few processors that you can pay $20 or $25 and they will keep your deer in the cooler for the week. Just something else you may wanna look into
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:56 am

I cant remember the last time i brought a whole deer out of the woods, doe's , bucks... it doesnt matter. Dragging deer is crazy talk, no one would dream of dragging a deer in the west.
Florida-East

Unread postby Florida-East » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:27 am

jlh42581 wrote:I cant remember the last time i brought a whole deer out of the woods, doe's , bucks... it doesnt matter. Dragging deer is crazy talk, no one would dream of dragging a deer in the west.

Yup, it's crazy, but Florida for example, it's not legal to debone or even quarter our deer or hogs on many of our public lands prior to dragging them out and taking to the check station
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:45 pm

De-bone and ice down. Freeze some 2 liter bottles. They last longer on extended trips.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
buckcrappie
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jeff.handly

Unread postby buckcrappie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:49 pm

OOS bowhunting Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas since 99 ...

2 wheel cart to haul does/bucks out

Reese hitch deer hanger for Truck with boat winch mounted on it

Debone deer completely while hanging ... ice down immediately and keep ice on meat whole draining water
No bones taken across state lines

Bucks to be mounted will need to be caped out ... not tuff if you have the proper knives ... I use surgical blades. After caping roll the the cape and put in plastic trash bag ... I put bag in my camper freezer. If no freezer ... it will keep for quite a while if you keep ice on it.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:31 am

Florida-East wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:I cant remember the last time i brought a whole deer out of the woods, doe's , bucks... it doesnt matter. Dragging deer is crazy talk, no one would dream of dragging a deer in the west.

Yup, it's crazy, but Florida for example, it's not legal to debone or even quarter our deer or hogs on many of our public lands prior to dragging them out and taking to the check station

It wasnt here for a long time either. I pushed and pushed and pushed the subject in public forums and with the game commission until they covered it at an annual meeting. Its still not in the reg book and its been years.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:58 am

It helps if you have a beast buddy between hunting states with an empty deep freezer...

:lol: Thanks CBay.

Coolers work. Quarter it up. If you kill multiple you can debone and fit plenty in a cooler. See if a local processor will let you deep freeze your meat overnight for a bit of cash. Cut the horns or if it is a good one learn to cut the face off. Doesn’t take long. I have also boiled heads and removed brain not sure if that is entirely legal anymore look it up. Makes a difference if deer is from a CWD state or not.

jlh42581 back from the dead good to see you bud.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:44 am

PK_ wrote:

Haha, yeah its been a few, life is crazy hectic. So much went down over the last two years with getting deeper in tournament fishing and what not. Work is more fast paced than ever.

This is the only place a guy can come too and not read the same old tired stuff all the time!

Keep refining and refining and man have I gotten close to some really big bucks in the last few years. Shot a decent public land mountain buck two years ago. Ive got some hammers on cam this summer if I can get to them. Its hard to even get away from work to hunt or fish.

Ive got a brand new 2015 Skeeter that has less than 40 hours on the motor still :lol:
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 am

jlh42581 wrote:
PK_ wrote:

Haha, yeah its been a few, life is crazy hectic. So much went down over the last two years with getting deeper in tournament fishing and what not. Work is more fast paced than ever.

This is the only place a guy can come too and not read the same old tired stuff all the time!

Keep refining and refining and man have I gotten close to some really big bucks in the last few years. Shot a decent public land mountain buck two years ago. Ive got some hammers on cam this summer if I can get to them. Its hard to even get away from work to hunt or fish.

Ive got a brand new 2015 Skeeter that has less than 40 hours on the motor still :lol:

I hear you man. I have world class freshwater, inshore and offshore fishing out my front door and never have time to get after it. Really getting the itch but now it’s deer season again :doh:

Glad all is well.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”