Got an out of state buck, now what?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CHALK_1

Got an out of state buck, now what?

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:55 am

To piggy back off the other DIY thread for 1rst timers out of state, I was wondering what some of you guys do once you’ve taken an animal. I can’t imagine the processor thing works when you’re in a new town for just a few days. I managed to secure a couple small spots in a couple states 9 & 14 hours from home, leaving NY to KY to OH & back to NY from late Oct-early Nov. I was planning on bringing a couple big coolers to quarter the animal(s) and put on ice? What about the cape & head if by chance I do get lucky? I’ve processed plenty of deer on my own so I’m not concerned about that. Gonna be more of a scouting year out of state, but I’d like to be prepared anyway.

I’d appreciate any tips!

Thanks.

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: Got an out of state buck, now what?

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:29 am

I'm fairly new to oos hunts as well. One thing to be mindful of is transporting deer across state lines. Many states have regs that don't allow you to bring in certain deer parts from another state for cwd purposes. Make sure to look at all state regs for your home state, the state you will be hunting, and any that you will pass through on the way.

As far as the logistics, I'm considering a big cooler, debone the meat on site and cape out the deer and throw that in bags in the cooler. Then most likely have to cut the antlers off and just bring back the antlers and top of the skull plate (no brain or spinal material can be transported usually).

Definitely a challenge of travel hunts
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:35 am

With the CWD Regis these day she the best thing to do is to find a local processor and have it processed or do it yourself. Most local processors will accommodate your schedule if you give them a heads up.

This way you are only bringing back meat, cape, skull cap and the neuro tissue isn't an issue.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:45 am

Man I forgot about that, glad I asked...thanks.
JRM KY

Unread postby JRM KY » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:51 am

I'm sure every place is different but I have never had trouble finding a processor that would accommodate. Sometimes I may have to travel 30 miles or so but they have always been willing to let me use there coolers. Ofcourse they charge and I'm glad to pay for the service. Killed one on first day few years ago and they kept the head in freezer all week for 50 bucks. Just get the deer on the ground first then worry about the little stuff lol. Like how am i gonna get this out of here and the processing.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:54 am

Coolers or a chest freezer with a generator, not always fun to haul that stuff but the freezer option could take the worry out of any meat situation until you get home.
Ditz

Unread postby Ditz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:10 am

I plan on doing some out of state hunts for the first time as well this year. My plan is to quarter and debone in the field, bring 1-2 large coolers for meat transportation, and bring back skull plate with antlers attached with no visible brain or spinal cord matter attached. This should comply with all CWD game laws regarding transportation back into my home state. If I happen to get a trophy quality buck, I'll just take it to a taxidermist in the state I'm hunting in, and get the mount when it is finished.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:56 am

RidgeGhost wrote:I'm fairly new to oos hunts as well. One thing to be mindful of is transporting deer across state lines. Many states have regs that don't allow you to bring in certain deer parts from another state for cwd purposes. Make sure to look at all state regs for your home state, the state you will be hunting, and any that you will pass through on the way.

As far as the logistics, I'm considering a big cooler, debone the meat on site and cape out the deer and throw that in bags in the cooler. Then most likely have to cut the antlers off and just bring back the antlers and top of the skull plate (no brain or spinal material can be transported usually).

Definitely a challenge of travel hunts
headgear wrote:Coolers or a chest freezer with a generator, not always fun to haul that stuff but the freezer option could take the worry out of any meat situation until you get home.

x2. I actually just use a freezer that doesnt work and just keep buying ice
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:06 am

Good stuff, thx!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:28 am

Well covered!!! There's nothing I could think of to add
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:52 am

All of my good hunting is out of state. This is what I do.

Carry 120qt cooler.

Quarter the deer and put all meat in the cooler with ice. Leave the drain plug open so the meat doesn't become saturated. Do not put in bags. The bags hold heat and encourage bacteria.

When you cape the buck, skin the head out. It's really not as intimidating as it seems. Here is an example.
https://youtu.be/qTx9SVLcsXE

If it's going to be more than a week I salt the hide, if not it goes straight in the cooler.

Cut the horns off the skull and bring it home.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Buckshot20 wrote:All of my good hunting is out of state. This is what I do.

Carry 120qt cooler.

Quarter the deer and put all meat in the cooler with ice. Leave the drain plug open so the meat doesn't become saturated. Do not put in bags. The bags hold heat and encourage bacteria.

When you cape the buck, skin the head out. It's really not as intimidating as it seems. Here is an example.

If it's going to be more than a week I salt the hide, if not it goes straight in the cooler.

So do you just throw the meat directly on/in the ice? And same for the cape?
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:

Carry 120qt cooler.

Yup. Don't over think it. Keep it cold and keep standing water off of it and it's fine.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:50 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:

Carry 120qt cooler.

This cape stayed in a cooler on ice for 10 days in 95 degree weather before I got him to the taxi
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:02 am

Buckshot20 wrote:
RidgeGhost wrote:

Yup. Don't over think it. Keep it cold and keep standing water off of it and it's fine.

Lol, might as well tell me not to breathe. I over think everything

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”